SHOPPING FOR BATHROOM SUITES AND KITCHEN SINK?

Guimbarde2

We own a house near Saumur which is being renovated in our absence. We trust all or artisans (French) and so far they have done a good job. The plumber and electrician are starting work 'soon'. In the meantime we have to find a bath, basin, wc, bidet, shower and a kitchen sink.

Our intention is to go to Boulogne next Sunday and spend 3 or 4 days trawling round the large bricolage etc. outlets to try to find good quality and well designed products. Can anyone help with any company names perhaps?

Our problem: (we think) we need to find national outlets in Boulogne or Calais who also have outlets in Saumur or Tours or Angers so we can chose in Boulogne and then give the details to our plumber who will buy locally (in 49) and obtain the lower vat rate and perhaps some discount as well.

Do you think this a practical way of finding what we want? 

For bathroom suites, I would seriously recommend taking a day trip to UK, or better still choosing on the net before you go, picking up what you want and bringing it straight back.  We're part way through installing an new bathroom and it has been a nightmare.  Every part has to be chosen separately, it's very time-consuming and we've ending up spending much more than we intended.  I could have bought in the UK during my last visit and I wish I had.  B&Q, Homebase, Do It All and MFI have some brilliant stuff at the moment although with MFI you do have to order in advance but do take a look at their website.

Take a look in Leroy-Merlin (near to the Auchan supermarkets in Boulogne and Calais) and Lapeyre (opposite the Auchan supermarket in Calais - not sure if there is one in Boulogne). Both are national chains with a vast choice of stuff.

L-M have a series of brochures and 'how to do it' guides for each product area that can be picked up in the store and Lapeyre have a big three volume catalogue that you can even grab from a dispenser outside the store when they're closed. Both have internet sites and you can order stuff from the Lapeyre site and pick it up later from your nearest store.

I don't think you'll find a bidet though. They are now considered seriously old-fashioned in France !

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Thank you both for the information. Presumably, if I were to take a UK bought suite to France, I would be able to find universal fittings/connectors etc. as I understand the French and UK measurements are different by a millimetre or two? What about taps? Should I buy in UK or France?

I have looked on the LM website (thanks for that) and they seem to have some decent stuff but their photo presentation leaves a lot to be desired. Not enough detail or close-ups, that's why we wanted to go and look personally.

We have just bought a replacement washbasin and pedestal for our (rented) house for 19€50 the basin and 10€70 the pedestal - they might be 'premier prix' but our plumber says they are 'de bon qualite' and he has no problems at all with the job of replacing our present basin with the new stuff from Castorama.

Mind you we had to go to BricoMarche yesterday for a small truc and we noticed that they have a very good basin at 14€50 and the matching pedestal at 7€50 - so we might yet change our minds and the basin/pedestal!

Sue