Additional Land Purchase Next to house

Davepos

When we bought our holiday home in Lot et Garonne we asked the previous owners that should they ever consider selling the field next to our 1.25 acre plot then to let us know. They continued to allow a local farmer to sow crops, such as sunflower in the 1 Hectare field. They are an elderly couple and now wish to sell the field.

We would like to purchase it but have no idea how much we will be asked to pay for 1 Hectare of Agricultural Land. Does anyone have an idea? Secondly we would wish to rent out the field to a local farmer for his continued use (so we would not have to look after it!). Would the farmer pay a nominal fee for using the land? Or the fact that he is caring for it is a reasonable exchange? (I'm not sure how much revenue 1 Hectare of sunflowers would produce for example?)

Finally, we presume that the sale of the land will require a Notaire to document - Any idea on likely costs and whether we need a legal agreement with the farmer for his beneficial use of the land?

Grateful for any advice

Dave

[email protected]

I would ask for advice from the immobilier through whom you bought your house as for pricing. Also I would advise you to use a Notaire to keep the paperwork straight.

Still even if the idea is buy to stop anybody else buying the field and getting planning permission - I would be very wary of signing anything of accepting payment from a farmer for using your field - as I understand it once a farmer has tenancy you will never get use of the field again.

[quote]I would ask for advice from the immobilier through whom you bought your house as for pricing. Also I would advise you to use a Notaire to keep the paperwork straight.Still even if the idea is buy to s...[/quote]

In general, you are correct, but :

That is exactly how they hope to acquire the land ?

Unless a new POS changes it to building land, they don't mind a farmer having long term tenure ?

Peter