Coldest Winter?

Patf

Perhaps my memory isn't as good as it was, but this seems to be the

coldest winter since we arrived here. Night time temperatures are well

below freezing and husband is even considering closing the bedroom

window ! Am I imagining it, or is it really so cold? We are in Gers 32.

It's the coldest Dec since we've been here (4 years). I've never seen a long period before with average nighttime temperature below zero before Xmas.

In practise the house seems warmer than last year with a new roof,  the house is relatively dry and heating working working well.

It's our first winter here so nothing to compare it with.  But it's freezing in our part of 24, mist/freezing fog didn't lift at all yesterday.  And we're both pleased we had central heating installed.

We had a landscape gardener here a few days ago who'se lived here for 15 years and he says it's a bad winter, started early and much colder than usual.

We are on the coast in 17 and although we don't keep records we do not remember so much frost before Christmas. It has generally been in the new year. This is our 6th winter and we think the coldest so far.  It was a brisk minus 5 overnight last night.

Last winter we had a daytime high of -8°C just before Christmas in the Ardèche - I remember it well because we were trying to commission the central heating boiler and under floor heating - laugh a minute at those temereatures (or not as the case may be).

Anyway since I'm not in France until tomorrow I cannot be certain, but the meteo is suggesting daytime highs of around +3-6° so that is significantly warmer.

Obviously it depends where you are.