Getting Married in France (87)

markkp

We are planning our wedding for next year and have been told that civils services on your own Land are not conducted, We have been told that the only place we may get married is in The Maires office, We would obvisouly like this to be a memroable day so we are wondeing if there is any other options open to us for wedding cermonarys in France (we are in 87 near St Mathieau) (we are both Brits and C of E). any input would be most greatful.

You could get married quietly in the Marie to fufil the civil parts and ask your CoE vicar to conduct a blessing ceremony wherever you decide to have the reception. I had a civil then a church marriage - none of the guests at the church bit knew we'd been legally married a few days....

You don't say if you are living full time in France.  If  you

are not, if I were you, I would get married in the UK at a registry

office and then have the religious ceremony or whatever you would like in France. 

Getting married in France requires lots of paper work, I gave up,

myself, I just couldn't be bothered it was just soooo much easier doing

it in the UK.  You can't do it the other way around here

(religious marriage and then legal marriage)

Hi,

We are not far from you- Champagnac-La-Riviere. We got married in the village last year. It was very straightforward. We enquired at the Mairie and they gave us a booklet with all of the required paperwork that we had to get. A few cheques here and there and a bit of work on the "net"and we went back with all the various papers and Voila we picked a date with our Maire who was very flexible " Quand vous voulez"

We had the civil ceremony at the Mairie which I believe is the law.

Afterwards we went back to our house, with the horns blaring of course, and had a superb day.

We wish you all the best for your forthcoming marriage.

Hope this info helps,

Best regards,

Tony and Sue www.flyfishinginfrance.com

If you need any documents translating please see our French property and life link, off the main page. You will find a direct e-mail link to the lady that we used in Limoges. Very quick too.