Chirac flees Sumit

Not my words you understand but The Times (24th March).

It would appear that while Villepen has been left holding the baby in Paris and told to sort out the young people by talking to both the unions and business's good old Chirac has thrown another wobbly.

Chirac was attending a summit on protectionism held by UNICE (thats European Employers Group to us lot) , this is about stopping foreign companies buying your native countries companies (I mean France doesn't do it do they - I'm thinking EDF and UK here) and France are a big opposer to allowing this. Seillière who was presiding (as chairman) over the summit announced that the whole proceedings would be held in English as this was the international language of business. Chirac stormed out and has given a directive to all his ministers that are not to talk in English anymore, even in Brussels.

Now I would have thought with the French economy in the state it is that the French government needs at much help as it can get from business so telling them they won't talk to them unless they speak only French is not, in my book, such a good idea.

Don't get me wrong either. It would seem that others have decided that English is the language of business and commerce, not me, I just happen to be English but I really don't care what the language is providing we can all agree that we use the same one.

It's called spin: if there is some bad news, you release it when it will "disappear", if there is an ongoing situation, do something that'll make the average nationalistic Frenchman be proud of you.

Is Chirac realted to T.B.Liar, by any chance?

Alcazar