Bus services Charente Maritime!

tj

Hi

I have tried without success to find details of bus services in dept 17, I can find local services for example within Saintes or La Rochelle etc, but nothing for example on what services there are to outlying towns and villages.

We need to get my daughter from St Jean D'Angely to Saintes on Monday mornings to arrive about 7am - 7.30am latest. Since this is for school I wondered if she would get a pass for this?

any help appreciated

Hi

Since I posted, I have managed to find the service St Jean to Saintes, unbelievable, departs 6.02 am arriving 7.40 am, 30 km, madness, and that still leaves me with 18 km to take her to the bus station, may aswell drive to Saintes, will be there and back before the bus gets there.

It is only one day a week so will just have to live with it I guess. Will have a chat with the school though they probably have details of all the bus routes etc

thanks for your reply Cassis

Bus services do seem to vary drastically between depaartements. In Manche (50), outside a couple of main towns, there is s** all in the way of buses (though we are promised this will change soon, due to public demand). In neighbouring Orne (61) there are a few routes, but in Calvados (14) there is an excellent network. We do seem to have school buses, though, enough to keep several coach companies in business - even two or three a day down the tiny lane next to our house - and it seems every local small farmer drives one as a part time job to supplement his income.

Country bus services are hopeless in the Orne as well.  Alençon and its immediate satellites are served down here, but we just have one bus twice a week through Alençon.  One on Tuesday at about 7.30 to go to Mamers market, the other Thursday for Alençon market.  I'm not even sure they do a return trip!