Sitting Tennants - Help -Advice Needed!

Rob Watkin

Hi to all ,

I am hoping some of you may be able to offer advice to me regarding a rather huge problem I have with my house in Normandy. I moved to Australia a couple of years ago and knowing that I would not be able to use my house for some time, asked my good friend and next door neighbour to try and rent the place out for me. He duly found a couple who moved in and started to pay rent to my neighbour. This was fine for 1 year until this March 05 when they stopped paying and have become very nasty neighbours generally causing an atmosphere with very vicious dogs and a garden full of junk and scrap cars and threatening my neighbour with violence. 

I went over in July at my neighbours request and he had recomended starting legal action but I foolishly tried to talk to the tennants who promised that they would start to pay directly into my bank account as they could not pay my neighbour  as he was not the owner and because they were being helped by some kind of social service who could only pay into a bank account. They also said that they also wanted to move and as soon as they could find somewhere they would vacate! 

Bottom line is that I am now back in Australia and no money ever arrived in my bank, and they are still in the house, so I need to start to try and get them removed. 

Can anyone tell me what the process will be ,how much it will cost , how long it will take and if there are any anglo french speaking solicitors near St Lo or Coutance in Normandy. By the way the place is furnished and there was NOT a written tennancy in place. The couple do also have young children and a new born baby if this has any baring. 

I greatly appreciate any help and avice anyone can offer.

Many thanks,

Rob