TV aerial

melwest

The TV aerial on our house is attached to one of the chimneys.  Several stones are starting to dislodge from this chimney and are only being held in by the aerial.  I had a stonemason round for a quote and he said "no problem fixing the stones, pointing etc but the aerial will have to be moved and fixed onto the side of the house next to the chimney"  According to him this is a legal requirement.  Has anyone heard of this before?  I am extremely reluctant to move the aerial to the (highly visible) side of the house, but fear he will refuse to do the job if I don't comply.  I should receive his quote this week.

I cannot help you on the legal side, except to say quickest way to damage a chimney is strapping an aerial to it. If you are having it repointed, it surely does not make sense to reattach the aerial again if there is an alternate solution as you can be certain it will loosen the stones again. If it can be attached to a side wall it will not cause any damage and you are likely to get a better signal even in a gale and the aerial will last a lot longer.

Baz

I was recently advised that, as part of my roofing work, the chimney mounted aerial would need to be relocated as current regulations no longer allowed chimney mounting.  Don't know which regs were being referred to but given the other issue around chimney damage, this seems to point towards moving your existing aerial (as i shall mine!).

Happy viewing!

gjp23

Christmas Day, only a few christmases ago our neighbours chimney came off and crashed into the roof during a very bad storm. My husband and another neighbour, incidentally those two sets of neighbours are not on speaking terms got on the roof and covered the hole with bache and plastic etc and contacted the absent householder.

On that chimney there were two satellite dishes attached. The insurance covered it and lo and behold, a very respectable  local company came back and attached two new satellite dishes to the new chimney.

An ariel is at least a bit aeordynamic, dishes are not.

So when did this law come in, because there are quite a few dishes in our village attached to chimneys by this well respected local company.