Rental deposits

bryansmith

We found what we thought was our dream long term rental, someone else wanted it, so we quickly signed and paid agency fees.  After several sleepless nights we realise that it is not for us.  Stupid, or what.  We are always very level headed, read about things like this and tut!  Question is, is there a cooling off period after signing in France.  We accept the agency fees are lost, but do not know how much of the 3 month notice period we will be liable for.  Any advice.

Hi

I'm not a lawyer, but am pretty certain, legally, you will have to pay rent for the three months notice period, unless you can come to an agreement with the owner.

Given the costs and delays of legal action, he may well be happy reach an agreement. 

Peter

The owner has presumably lost the other long term tenants and may have to wait months to get others. 3 months rent sounds like fair compensation to me. Why don't you try staying there for a month at least, nothing to lose.

BTW is this a new trend - people not buying, but long term renting ?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Teamedup"]I don't know whether it is a trend, but we rented for a year initially before buying and another whilst the property was being built. I wouldn't have done otherwise when moving to a foreign country.[/quote]

Had I had my time over again I would probably do what you have advised. However like a lot of people on this forum we were so excited to come to France and do some DIY on an old wreck of a property that we threw caution to the wind. Now, many years later, we don't regret a bit of it.