Archives.Normandy

Gastines

We are trying to find out details of the death and burial/grave of a relative and wondering if anyone Normandy way might look up something for us? My wife's family originated in Ploeuc-sur-lie in Bretagne and we have traced the family back  to 1804. However ,one missing link is proving hard to trace. My wife's grandfather apparently died in a fire in the mid 1970's, we were told this happened in Brittany but have not been able to trace any record of the burial in the Brittany cemetary records. We were advised that the computer records would tell us if he was buried anywhere in Brittany and now are hoping that Normandy holds a similar cemetary record? We ventured in to Avranche and the cemetary bureau was closed and the staff at the Hotel de Ville didn't know what we were talking about. Are there any Researchers/Archivists out there who can point us in the right direction or even better know where we can find the information? We believe that there was family connections with Granville, as the great grandfather served in the 279th Territorial in 1890 in Granville.

Any help or info welcome.

Regards.

We have tried contacting St.Lo and Caen via there web sites,in French I might add, but have not received any replies,  hence asking if anyone in the vicinity. We will probably motor up in the next couple of weeks and see if we can get any joy.

Thankyou for replies.

Regards.