Protection rules using UK Credit Cards

Baz

I thought it might be useful to clear up this point as  many people often respond that you can claim money back from UK Credit cards for purchases worldwide under £100.

The rules are as follows: All purchases over £100 and under £30,000 made on UK credit cards are covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If you pay for an item on your credit card and a problem arises (e.g. breach of contract, false information, faulty goods or non-delivery) with this purchase, the credit card company is held equally liable by law as the supplier.

Baz

[quote user="woolybanana"]even abroad?[/quote]

Yes. This used to be a hot potato, but in 2006 this got to the Court of Appeal and it confirmed this applies to everything you buy. Whether it’s in the UK, abroad or on a foreign website, Section 75 applies.

This is a real boon, as often if you buy something abroad it’s much more difficult to get in touch with the retailer. So don’t bother, simply make a claim directly against the credit card company.

For more details : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Baz

Is there anyone who has the definitive detail of ''goods over £100''
during a recent conversation with a card supplier and without prompting it was suggested that there may be occasions when this limit may be reduced to it's component parts,
ie when buying a kitchen for £5K then if the invoice details items under £100 they would not necessarily be covered? . . .[blink]

[quote user="Baz"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]even abroad?[/quote]

Yes. This used to be a hot potato, but in 2006 this got to the Court of Appeal and it confirmed this applies to everything you buy. Whether it’s in the UK, abroad or on a foreign website, Section 75 applies.

This is a real boon, as often if you buy something abroad it’s much more difficult to get in touch with the retailer. So don’t bother, simply make a claim directly against the credit card company.

For more details : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Baz

[/quote]

Buy does this apply to a french resident using a UK credit card?

Well:  I telephoned Nationwide as I wanted to buy air tickets to Canada on my Nationwide credit card  (we live in France).  They confirmed that I will be covered if for example the airline goes bust.  I did take the precaution of getting a name but as it is the second time I have done this I must assume the advice is correct.

If anyone is unsure about their credit card provider it is worth a phone call to check.

Mrs H.