Allowable costs when selling.

Beryl

I am aware that the cost of work carried out by artisans is classed as allowable cost (?) when selling a house.

The only part of the house that was not done by artisans were the fitting of the kitchen units as we bought a flat pack version which was easily assembled by ourselves.

As the house did not have a kitchen before, will the cost of the kitchen units be treated as an allowable cost, even though it was not assembled by artisans ?

Probably not - you need to have a TVA invoice from a French registered tradesman, covering materials and work. As you bought the units and fitted them yourselves, this would count as materials only, and as such I don't think would be allowable. But do ask the notaire.

If you have owned the house for five years or more, then the notaire can apply a percentage to cover maitenance and repair, which might work out better for you.

Thanks Will

I thought that would be the case, it just seemed ridiculous to pay artisans to assemble a flat pack kitchen , when it was one of the few jobs we could do ourselves!

Will run it past the Notaire though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but I was so pleased at being able to include the cost of the kitchen as an allowable cost, I  didn't quite catch why [:$]

She did mention something about 'plus value' but said that didn't apply either.

I will try and find out why on my next visit and report back.

So much for the theory of the Common Market. We always used to be able to use material costs of items bought in UK, with a proper receipt, in with any items bought here and installed yourself, against tax when selling. Plus the added advantage of getting 3 times the value of materials to allow for your labour. We did this 3 times with no problems. It seems to be one of the anamolies of the whole system, that the Impot will only allow French artisans/TVA receipts. I did write to T. Mandeleson about it over a year ago but am still waiting for a reply. If a E.U. resident , not French,can work anywhere in Europe, how come  his charges are not deductable?The same applies to materials.

The old system did at least allow you some benefit from doing the work yourself and sourcing the best place to buy materials and provide  the accredited surveyors in France with a nice earner. We paid approx £2000.each time, for the surveyor to check our work/materials/quantities and submit our file to the Impot in Paris but each time  it was OK'd and saved us paying ANY  CGT all on second homes.

No Polish plumbers yet then?

Regards. B&B St.Malo.     ourinns.org