Today's mini-summit

breizh

http://www.leparisien.fr/crise-europe/zone-euro-merkel-sarkozy-et-monti-reunis-23-11-2011-1735174.php

What's really on the agenda? Will the Hausfrau agree to common eurobonds? Will the Dwarf allow a Teutonic takeover of national fiscal and finance policy?

Yesterday's failure of Germany's bond sale, and the change in yield might mean someone already knows the answer?

The Germans are playing brinkmanship games to get Sarkozy and others to agree to their form of central control, and will only appear to compromise when they get what they want.

Which means Sarko might have to agree to a withering of the SMIC as the Germans don't have one and will say it is too expensive for France to afford, as well as other unpalatable measures on pensions etc.

I was rather amused yesterday by the exasperated reply by SuperFritz regarding the Titanic Metaphor in FTAlphaville reader comments.

dankerchern fritz

Your Schadenfreude makes me sick. Without Germany's help, Greece, Ireland and Portugal would be bankrupt by now.

And to repeat what I said elsewhere:

If I were in the third class of the Titanic, I would hold my breath, rather than express my Schadenfreude, because you'll be first below the waterline, while Germany will have enough time to lower a life boat and get away from the mess. In any event, the Titanic-metaphor is a wry one, because the Eurozone did not hit an iceberg out of nowhere, it was the third class passengers who hacked a hole in its hull and are now demanding from the first class passengers to close it again "since we're all on the same boat" (Not much longer, if they don't take care.).[:D]