Bayeux Accommodation.B&B wanted.

Gastines

ooops! I am very interested in the D Day Landings and anything war related...and I was totally unaware! I actually spent a whole evening last week glued to the television watching some anoraks dig up some WW1 trenches...I cant get enough of it.

You should def make the trip...

In the Ouest France about 2 months ago there was an article saying Presidents Obama and Sarkozy were making an early morning visit to Omaha Beach on route from London to Strasbourg on the G,20, tour. We booked into a very nice ans spotlessly clean hotel in Bayeux the night before,sussed the route out etc and asked the Security bods at the American Cemetery what time they were expected. As they didn't want to answer us and the receptionist said it was just the press exagerating, we thought the visit was still on but very low profile. The gates open at 9.00am., but we followed a delivery lorry in at 7.45am and sat in the car listening for helicopters. At just before 9.00. we realised that they were not coming,we did know the visit for June 6th was anounced so presumed that they had decided that would suffice. However,we went through the gardens with no-one else about and watched the raising of the Stars and Stripes on the 2 flagpoles. Very moving and impossible not to feel emotional. We also went to Arromanche to the Mulberry Harbour and the 360 degree film show.The Bayeux Cemetery for the UK and Canadian soldiers/sailors was made even more moving by the personal messages carved into the headstones. The German Cemetery with it's tree lined entrance was a little more sombre.

I may add that there were several hundred French school/college children/teens in each Cemetery and they were all well- behaved with no litter to be seen.

It was a very interesting area and worth another visit.

Regards.

[quote user="DanT"]

ooops! I am very interested in the D Day Landings and anything war related...and I was totally unaware! I actually spent a whole evening last week glued to the television watching some anoraks dig up some WW1 trenches...I cant get enough of it.

You should def make the trip...

[/quote]

The date falls right between my 30th wedding anniversary and a trip to Brittany, I still miss my father, I guess I always will:  I know I'll cry and its a long way to go to get upset when I can get upset at home (if you know what I mean) ......I have been to the Museum, seen the film show etc but one day I will come over and retrace the route, maybe not quite into the low countries, but certainly in the Normandy area....

I can understand those sentiments for sure.

You can pay your respects without making a visit every time, that is also for sure.

There are many people in the world, myself included, who will always be grateful for the sacrifices these people made for freedom. I hope what I write doesnt sound corny, it is genuine. I cant help feeling at the moment, the current conflicts (e.g. Iraq over oil) are not quite so honourable however...(nothing to do with the service men and women involved of course) but the governments involved intentions.