Holiday advice in Aix/Toulouse

ajhurley

Hello,

I am looking at taking a 8/9 day break in the South or South West in the next month or so.

My first choice was renting an apartment in Aix, from where I could relax there, visit Arles, the Camargue, Marseille and so on. I would like to see some musuems/galleries so this is quite a good area from which to do that. My only real concern is if Aix is ridiculously overcrowded in August, and hence uncomfortable and difficult to get a table at cafes, restaurants etc - anyone have any thoughts on this? Just to say a good, busy vibrant town is what I would like, just not for it to be like Leicester Square in London!

The other option if this were so is Toulouse … any thoughts on this as a holiday destination? Imagine it wouldn't be as busy as Aix etc

Any general advice on Aix and that area of Provence and also Toulouse?

Regardless of where I go, I will rent an apartment through homelidays.

I should add that part of the reason for the trip, as well as relaxation and seeing areas of France I have not seen before, is to try to gain an insight into 2 areas where I could potentially move for a little while in the next year or so.

Also, I will be travelling alone and was thinking something like couchsurfing would be a good idea for meeting people in the evening for a coffee or some drinks - any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

Just a thought, if you are not averse to heading further west, our visitors last year who spent a few days in Bordeaux were so taken with it as a holiday destination in its own right that they have been back twice since for long weekends.  Lots to do, plenty of history and cultural activities, and the added interest of a port location.  I can't comment usefully on your last para but wherever you decide to go, a little internet research on likely places to meet people with shared interests could certainly do no harm!

Good luck,

Val