Moving and Customs

Hi folks, we've just signed the CDV last weekend and are starting to plan ahead...we are planning to hire a truck and drive our own belongings rather than hire a removal company to do the job. Are there any customs implications of having a truck full of personal belongings? Would we have to list the contents in detail? I have read a couple of posts about people moving, but there are no customs comments.

Thanks in advance, these forums are fantastic!!

Cheers
Darren

Customs checks went out back in 1992 I believe. However,you may still be searched under the current anti-terrorismn laws and if you have anything like guns,dangerous weapons I would put them near the top or inform the ferry company/port authority in the UK before travel as to the best way of explaining them if you are stopped.

• 3 weeks later...
Can I revive this topic, or at least ask Darren how the move has gone if you've now done it?

I'm also looking at doing the same thing in summer. Taking a van load of things to France, it will in fact be our permanent move and my dad will drive the van back to the UK. Perhaps that makes things different?

I also have been researching this in books / and hours and hours of circling around the same limited info on the internet but not getting a final, definite list. So perhaps you can sent my mind a rest or point me in a better direction so I can find the info. What I have so far is we will need...

1. Certificate of transfer of residence - available from our LA (apparently!) but not from mine according to my searches on their website which don't mention it!
2. Inventory - in french and english. Should this be on an official form or just a list we produce and how detailed are we looking at?
3. Certificate de non-cession, which states items are for our personal use only - but where is this form from?

Re plants I've been in touch with defra and happy I know what I'm doing there! And the cats have passports, though I'm keeping an eye on defra with the updated pet passport coming out July 2nd in case that affects anything. Oh, and we'll have receipts for electrical/ expensive items (not many of those though!).

Any help with the above would be gratefully received, and if I've missed anything I should be aware of please let me know - better now then on the day!

Thanks alot
Karen

I moved all our belongings myself back in January from UK in a hired truck driven by me. I sailed through customs at both sides of La Manche without a problem. At Portsmouth I had to open the tailgate and reveal the inside which was crammed to the hilt. I was asked if I had any petrol or chainsaws mowers etc with fuel in to which the answer was no. Technically they can empty the whole thing but this causes them a great deal of work so it is unlikely. Just keep an inventory of what you have as per any house move and I'm sure that will do.