SPEEDFERRIES - THUMBS DOWN FOR ME !

Relaxmax1

I recently arrived at Dover at 7.30 on the morning of Sept 9th to be told that the crossing was cancelled due to overhauling. Speedferries assured me they had tried to contact me, but didn't have my phone number (this is incorrect as I was asked for my phone number on booking - they also had my email address). No assistance was given to me to get another crossing (I ended up having to buy a one-way ticket with SeaFrance). I was assured that payment for the cancelled crossing had been credited to my account. The only compensation they offered me verbally was another 1-way crossing valid for a year ! NOTHING has been forthcoming from Speedferries, in spite of an email and phonecalls. I see on the forum that others scheduled on the cancelled crossings were amply compensated for the cancellations. One last point that makes me angry. I travelled out to Dover from Boulogne on Sept 5th - the day before the ferry was due to be taken for overhauling and surely the staff must have known this fact !!! any suggestions as to how I can get adequate compensation from Speedferries??

If you want to encourage Speedferries you will have to be willing to put up with a few teething problems.

The overhaul of the craft was not planned, and they decided to bite the bullet and take it out of service, rather than suffering ongoing minor problems. So the staff probably didn't know that it was going to be cancelled the day after you went out.

As far as your "compensation" is concerned, its less than two weeks since this all happened so they are probably pretty busy. Keep nagging, and I'm sure you will get your refund and free flight. Remember what they have offered is already better than Ryanairs cancellation policy!.

Perhaps there will be less risk of disruption if and when their promised  second craft arrives.

In the meantime you can't really expect the other operators to bail them out!

I too have to jump to the defence of Speedferries as they have been brilliant and certainly cost effective! However I suppose if I was at the end of a cancellation maybe I would not be as cheerful.

I'd say give them chance to compensate you. When I had to cancel a booking for my dad who was suddenly diagnosed with lung cancer they refunded my money immediately - which they needn't have done.

I hope they survive and a second ship will be a great bonus

Kate

Max,

I should point out that I have not actually *received* the promised £40 compensation for my own cancelled Boulogne-Dover crossing on 9 September - but then I thought it would probably take a month or so to be credited to my card, so I wasn't about to hassle them yet.

Angela