7.5t Freight or Not?

Redcap

Hi, me again still harping on about 7.5t trucks!

I thought I had it all sorted, I'd punched in me dates and details for the Portsmouth - St Malo crossing on the website for Brittany ferrys for the 7.5t, which it accepts. However, I decided to read through the small print where it states, 'vehicles exceeding 6.5m not specifically constructed/ adapted for passengers are subject to freight tarrifs'.

I carried out a search of the forum  !  Only found 1 post on this, which seemed to suggest that if moving your own stuff, not hire/reward, you may get on under normal tarrif as you can book vans up to 8m long.

Have any forum members had any recent experience of this? Has anyone travelled with BF in 7.5t and got on non freight?  If I had not taken the time to reag the small print, I would have booked my van on anyway as it comes within the measurements.

I'm still tempted to book online and just tun up (with some extra dosh just in case!). What do you think?

Regards,

Bob (5 weeks!)

I've done this, from Portsmouth-St Malo. Booked by 'phone (rather than online) and they were very helpful. They just wanted me to confirm that I was not carrying "trade goods" ie. it was my own furniture that I was carrying.

Marshall at St Malo on return trip was suprised that I was not frieght, but sent me through the car embarcation channels. Was loaded/offloaded last, but not much of delay.

Quite cheap, too.

There are advantages to travelling freight (have you seen the drivers lounges?), but it tends to be more expensive.

i travel regularly in a 7.5 ton flatbed lorry which is six mtrs long,i have traveled with bf on plymouth and portsmouth routes but found it better to book by phone and explain to the telesales person what i was carrying,i have done the last 5 journeys with norfolk line as they accept me as freight (cheaper than standard) which is £15 per mtr + vat where bf has wanted £300 + for a single journey.

Hi Nick,

How long ago did you travel with BF with the van?  Also, when you booked by 'phone, what did you get from BF by way of documentation (or anything else) that states you would be normal passenger as opposed to freight.  I'm thinking that if I've booked online  which it accepts, as under 8m length, I will still get same documentation through?

Did you have any problems at the ticket kiosk?

Thanks also,Boris.

Regards,

Bob (nearly 22!)

Hello Bob

It was early January (I was loading at 11pm on New Years Eve!).

Ordinary (email type ticket). Not a blink from the check-in chap at Portsmouth, or the loaders. As if I was in the car, really.

It was a 7.5T Iveco @ about 6.9M long (had a tail lift), height was well within spec.

As I said above, chap at St Malo on return trip wondered why I was in passenger queue, but was quite happy when he looked at my ticket.

Saved me alot of money, "doing it myself" (£500 for van for 4 days, £250 ferry - remember it was January, plus fuel - at about 12MPG).

Where abouts in 22 you moving to?

Hi again Nick,

About the same with us, £560 for van, brand new from Ryder, coming up at present £347 for ferry, I'd allowed for about 18mpg, perhaps a little generous? Is 12mpg what you worked out following the journey?

We will be near Loudeac, about 3km away.

So, basically the only documentation you had was the e-mail with reference number on, correct?

Did you use a tachograph, what did your hire company advise re this(if anything)?

I'm going to call BF tomorrow for a quote on the freight tariff. (though doubt I'll go freight!)

Regards,

Bob

BF usually only use email tickets (to their FPOC members at least), without problem as far as I am concerned. All you need is the booking ref when you turn up at the port.

12MPG was what I got! (The Hire Co said 17, and I am not lead-footed!)

Tachograph not required (although you can use it if you want to) as the usage is private.

Sorry I did not get to this earlier, but I spent all day today getting home... via Ryanair.

Phoned BF Freight, £294 +vat each way, = £690 !!

OK this includes meals and berths, but this is ridiculous. Quote for same van on website comes in at £347 return, including 4 berth cabin. I will definately be arguing my case with them!

Regards,

Bob

As most things are similar with the Ferry companies you shouldn't have too many problems getting a tourist rate. The P&O terms state

The following are excluded from Tourist Fares:

a) All vehicles carrying commercial goods or involved in a commercial venture.

b) All vehicles constructed for the carriage of commercial goods over 6.5m long (5m on Portsmouth routes).

c) All vehicles constructed for the carriage of commercial goods over 1.83m high (2.4m on Hull routes.

d) All vehicles designed for commercial use towing a trailer, where the combined length exceeds 6.5m.

e) All vehicles designed for commercial use transporting vehicles for sporting events.

You just need to prove that the goods are not commercial (ie your own) and the  the size of the vehicle. Though on rereading the above if they all impose a 5m limit on the Western Channel, perhaps it is that that is pushing up your cost, simply because anything 5 metres plus is  considered commercial, even if they are your own goods.

Final point I'm not sure  you get a whole 4 berth to yourself with BF. I think its a couchette IN a 4 berth.

Hi,

I suspect the critical thing in the terms above is that the vehicle would have been CONTRUCTED FOR commercial use even though it may not ever have been used commercially.

Regards accomodation, when we travelled freight with Brittany the overnight accom was a BERTH in a cabin, not the whole cabin. I have have heard, though, that they do not put a woman in with men who aren't travelling in the same party. So if you're travelling as a lone woman, or a couple, then you might get the cabin to yourself/ves.

Please keep us updated as to progress as we too are interested in bringing over another 7.5 tonner at favourable rates.

F24.

Hello,

We actually did whittle down all the stuff we had, when we moved into rented. Trouble is, with all the time on our hands spent waiting for the big day, we have accumulated more stuff! Well I thought what's the point of missing out on bargains here in the UK, and let's face it, shops are throwing stuff at you here now!

Anyway, 7.5t it has to be, I will be printing out every page of the booking transaction to show that it allowed me to book the van within the dimensions on the form. Hopefully, if there are any objections at the ticket booth, this may help persuade her/him.

I'll post how it went when (if) we get through!

Regards,

Bob

Nick

I fully recognise that what I wrote referred to P&O rather than Brittany, simply because I didn't have their terms to hand, and as "everyone knows" they often tend to operate in similar ways.

So I've now looked at Brittany Ferries which states:

Vehicles exceeding 6.5m in length which are not specifically constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers are subject to freight tariffs, as are vehicles of lesser dimensions but which are carrying merchandise for hire and reward. 

IE  a vehicle less 6.5 metres carrying commercial freight is freight, and anything over 6.5 is freight irrespective of whether its commercial or not. To me it seems daft that the tourist website accepts bookings for vans up 8 metres.

Looks like another case of uneven (Beneficial for once!) application of the rules.

You've obviously done it, so I hope that like  you, Dunrunnin and Boghound ,Bob Redcap is the lucky type.

Personally I always seen to drop for the losing ticket, and the bureaucratic stickler!

In my experience this year making several trips (Caen-Pmouth), BF have always insisted I travel freight with my 7.5t horsebox, whether it is empty or full.

Then when I've spoken to the frieight desk, they look at me as though I am from outer space as until recently I haven't had a freight account number and don't really look like a commercial driver!

I have the distinct feeling that private drivers fall between the cracks at BF, so if you can get an ordinary booking then good luck. There doesn't seem to be any communication between Freight and Passenger services and each side tries to pass you to the other when they are not sure what to do, so I suggest you are very firm with the passenger booking clerk.

The cabin is often shared, and as a female, I don't like using the driver's restaurant 'cause they stare like mad, so all in all a freight ticket is poor value for money!

Em

Yes i know its a long way East but it may be of benefit to someone...

I just registered with Eurotunnel freight side and got the following e-mail information.

Ring prior to arrival at terminal on CC booking line and you get an 8 digit referance. You then arrive at terminal and get the next available train.

Price is  £145 plus vat up to 9m length each way

£225 plus vat over 9m in length each way.

Seems like a good deal. Some of these big Fiat and Mercedes vans can carry a serious amount of stuff.

Van/truck share??

[quote]In my experience this year making several trips (Caen-Pmouth), BF have always insisted I travel freight with my 7.5t horsebox, whether it is empty or full. Then when I've spoken to the frieight desk...[/quote]

Hi EM,

I itend to 'have a right go' at them if they try to insist I go freight! I know there is some small print when you book online, but the system allows you to book a van up to 8m in lenth X 4m high, my van will be within those bounderies. I will be copying each stage of the booking process and printing it, to show the ticket clerk, so we shall see.  As I said earlier, I 'll let you all know how I got on.

Blackadder, Hi!

That sounds a great deal, but I just don't fancy the long drive, not when we'll be aeger to get to our new home, and the truck needs to go back.

Regards,

Bob

Trying to find a cheaper method than using a 7.5 tonner, I thought about using a large transit-type vehicle. Phoned BF (non-freight). "How long is the vehicle? Ah, well, if its longer than x you need to book through the freight department."

There, I discovered the price and scheme was exactly the same as for a 7.5 tonner.

A regular-sized Transit, however, was eligable to go non-freight.

Well, that's the story as of earlier this week!

F24.

as you can see in my picture i have an iveco 79/10

7.5ton vehicle(6.8m(l)*3.4m(h)which is i know a camper as apposed to a full blown 7.5ton lorry with luton and tail lift.

on 7 trips with p&0 have had no trouble being accepted as (tourist)and also carry a fair amount of stuff(my own ,not freight)

have a tacho fitted but not required as exempt(for my own use non commercial)

i have seen many horseboxes,hire lorries ect in the same que as myself.

reguards

martin

• 1 month later...

Hello from Redcap!!

i know this is an old post, but I said I would let you know how I got on taking the 7.5t hire van as non freight with BF.  We booked online, and wnet through without so much as a second glance!  A great crossing, and my mates had no problem bringing the van back.

Now we are finally resident in cloudy St Barnabe, only just got phone line a few days ago.  Great!!

Rewgards,

Bob