New Airbus Super Jumbo...

Joh

Not particularily French related but....

Okay so it will not be going on channel hopping flight's, but just imagine up to 550 people at check in, and a nightmare to retrieve your luggage!!!

Feel deeply sorry in advance for those going to the USA , as their inward controls are bad enough now.  Imagine getting through control with that many people!  Will need at least three carousel's to get your luggage!!!

Alway's the optimist

Terry

Terry, don't worry, from the press coverage the A380's been getting internationally you would think it was an exclusively French aircraft as there's little mention of the consortium, merely that it was built in Toulouse! 

My current local airline (Emirates) is a launch customer and will be operating them on the Dubai/London route from spring of 2006.  Virgin have also bought quite a few, as have Singapore Airlines.  Actually, apart from the fact it's a full double decker, the seat capacity isn't an awful lot more than the super density 747 used in places like internal Japan.  But, I agree, it's still a heck of lot of people to board and disembark at one time. 

Hope it's some years until Charles de Gaulle receives the first one.  Slowest baggage handling on earth and in a country we always assume is top heavy with fonctionnaires, and 10% unemployment, they could only manage one immigration officer in the entire T1 last week.  Coupled with their local strikes this added up to 90 minute flight + 30 minutes waiting to get off + 40 minutes to have passport glanced at + 80 minutes for luggage.  And to think we all love France...

M

I don't know how you got your news about the launch but British news on Sky showed all the national leaders in the consortium with Blair grinning like a Cheshire cat as usual who did just about mention that it was a European collaboration.

The UK is making the wings and the engines so one assumes that the other parts are made elsewhere in Europe!

Where I live in 11 (Aude) I do see Airbuses of one sort or another cruising about at low altitude that are probably  on test from Toulouse and I hope to see this new one in March or thereabouts.

If you think there will be problems with the standard configuration of 550 on arrival at an airport, just think if an airline turns it all into economy with more than 800 people!

I seem to remember the economy capacity is around 850 passengers, this is of course without the olympic size swimming pool, tennis courts and motocross circuit 

The UK newscast i watched mentioned that the plane was merely assembled in France, no mention that the fuselage was constructed in Toulouse.

It's odd because until this week I too thought it was going to be a regular 800+ capacity aircraft and was surprised to see a mere 550 mentioned.  Obviously that higher figure is maximum passenger load.  Would imagine it's many years off being turned into an all economy configuration though as the major airlines will have to offer 2 or 3 class cabins in order to recoup revenue.

I remember being in the SW last year and reading that the A62 (Bordeaux/Toulouse) was going to be closed sporadically the following day to allow the slow moving convoy carrying the infamous British-built wings to pass.  Can you imagine how huge they are?

Incidentally, we can all go along and see the Airbus family being put together on what I'm told is a very interesting factory tour at the facility in Toulouse.

M