Ryanair insurance

Caroline 34

I have just booked on Ryanair on their updated site, and uncoched the the box for insurance.  When an extra #8.50 was added for '9 day european UK resident', I assumed it was a new tax.  Alas no, it was in fact the insurance and the box had somehow  mysteriously become******hed. 

So BEWARE! please double check when booking.  A lucrative sideline for Ryanair, but one I can ill afford.  Silly me for not checking thoroughly, though perhaps it was as I double checked the passenger info that the tick reappeared.

Would appreciate advice on whether or how to complain, if it is worth it. 

Thanks,

Caroline

It seems the insurance box reappears several times during the booking process.

If I remember rightly, I had to tick the box to confirm insurance was NOT required.

I forgot to include my country in my address, corrected, and the box reappeared, tick to say no insurance. Omitted to tick the box agreeing Ryanair's terms, insurance box reappeared, ticked to say no insurance. You really have to be careful.

The dividing line between good business and sharp practice is often an ill-defined one.

Not sure which side of the line Ryanair are on in this instance. 

I was forced into the insurance as without indicating I wanted it the site would not go to the next stage of the booking procedure.

I also noticed (having been messed about with my French credit card and having to repeat the booking with my UK credit card) that the insurance in France was cheaper???