Goodbye to Le Havre

BJSLIV

Picking up the point in the Post Bag, it must be bad news that Brittany Ferries have backed out of the deal to take on the le Havre route. Its significant that they would not have gone ahead, whatever the outcome of the current enquiry because of current trading conditions.

I don't see much hope of any other operators moving in.

What current trading conditions are they then?Oh, of course, the ones BF have created with sky-high prices.  Came over as a foot passenger on the Val de Loire yesterday ( no more car for me at those prices).  They carried 14 cars, 3 trucks and about 15 foot passengers and that ship is massive.  I was talking to someone who had travelled Dover-Calais last weekend and he reckoned Dover Docks were heaving with travellers. You pay your money and makes your choice.

Good.  I hope that P&O have lost loads of money due to the berth damage.  They're certainly trying to make up for it with their latest fare offererings.  Exactly mirroring Speedferries in the hope of seeing them off.  I heard a rumour and it is only a rumour that Speedferries are looking for a couple of ships for the Western Channel.  May not be true but it's something to dream about.  Speedferries or Stelios, I don't mind.

they would have a job keeping the price that low on the western channel especially with the extra fuel costs. it would also seem now that all the operators have changed the way they present their pricing to reflect airline single fares as well. just saw in the mail at the weekend that condor ferries, the last to change, have now gone to this model also. Leading in at £29.25 per person per single journey for a car + 2 adults + 2 kids down to St Malo for easter!!!  Not sure speedferries would be capable of topping that on the western channel....

I think that when you add up the fares for both Condor and Brittany ferries for what are only long weekend tickets, they are not cheap.  Certainly wouldn't expect any operator, including Speedferries to do the Western Channel routes for the same price as Dover-Boulogne, that would be stupid.  However, I think a better price than £550 for a two-week return in Summer should be achievable.  I know if I was booking a Summer holiday in France this year, I would travel Dover-Calais or Boulogne, factor in a couple of nights in an hotel and still be quids in. It's hard luck for those areas served by Brittany Ferries that won't get as many Engish holidaymakers this year. 

with brittany ferries maybe,

but everytime i've wanted to travel with condor ferries at the peak of summer (with a level of flexibility to dates) i've found them to be the most cost effective operator. especially when i can save time getting to my place instead of doing the whole long winded drive to other ports. £50 per person per single journey is published in their brochure now for the summer. and i reckon they'll be around this summer...

i dont get all this clammer for speedferries and the dover ports when the south coast has a provider clearly stating their pricing and also offering exceptional special offers. maybe people just like to suffer it and are stuck in the pompus ways on sea travel. i'd for one certainly like to have the cash in my pocket, plus proper duty free and time on my side to spend it on the west of france instead of the motorways to dover and from calais.