rental company or private ownership?

I will be looking to rent an apartment in France soon, and after searching the internet, some sites recommended to go through a rental company (even though they ask for a lot of money up front) rather than going through a private owner. Any suggestions or comments on personal experience or guidance?

thanks all

Hi

I’m not sure if you are looking for a long term or holiday rental. Rental companies don’t usually charge visitors to book holiday properties as the property owner has paid to advertise. Holiday rental companies can also be a good source for long term rentals as their advertisers may accept these as well as the usual one or two week bookings.

Immobiliers (Estate Agents) are another good source of long term rentals, but they may charge for this service or have their commission built into the rental price.

Best of luck with your search.

If it is to live in and not just as a holiday, then whatever you do don't go for one of these agencies that sells you their list, like Hestia. They take your money off you, about £80, and then give you a list. You then contact the people on the list who supposedly have flats to rent. This is basically, if the list is not out of date, a list of how to get the most dodgy landlords, because it doesn't cost them anything at all. My husband had a very bad experience, although it was about 10 years ago but his is not the only story I've heard.

The thing about rental companies,by which I mean "agent immobilier" is that you need to know whether they are just organising the rental for the owner, or whether they take charge of everything. If they take charge of everything, then you would probably have more assurances in terms of any work that needed to be done, or the etat des lieux when you leave, because obviously it is not in their interests to keep more of your money than is really reasonable because of their reputation. That said, I have had positive two experiences with private landlords, it just depends on the person. No agency fees if you go through a private landlord which is a plus. But they might ask you for a larger caution than an agency.

So I don't think there is a golden rule as such, just be cautious, remember to ask about things like the heating and what is included in the charges as this can really vary and affect your budget. Where abouts in France are you planning to move?

If you are talking about long term rental rather than holiday let, I think it boils down to your language skills.  Personally, I think it is important with private landlords to be able to speak to them and ensure that you trust them and that everything is above board.  If your French isn't good, you may be taking a big risk.  Of course the same is true of agencies, but it is a bit easier to check whether or not they are bona fide. 

We went through an immoblier who essentially found the house for us, organised the paperwork etc while we were in the UK, sorted out our EDF registration etc and did a very through etat des lieux, marking any damage to skirting boards etc before we moved in.  We were also confident that everything was above board.  It cost a little less than the first months' rent, which is expensive and I'm sure there was a nice profit margin from them but we didn't begrudge it.  Plus, we only paid the fee when we signed a lease - I certainly wouldn't have paid to see what they have.

Why not do a combination of both while searching - you get dodgy agents as well as private landlords and treat it on a case by case basis. 

Thanks to all who responded! This information is really helpful for my future stay in France.

To answer your question: I am planning on doing a teaching assistantship in France and won't find out the location until this May, however I might be located in Lyons, Grenoble, or Tours. I have been looking a great deal at www.seloger.com for apartments in Lyons and was rather concerned about prices and landlords because, when I find out the location, I have to organize/plan my living arrangements prior to going to France. (And I live in the U.S.) So needlesstosay, I am worried about getting screwed over with charges and possibly a terrible landlord situation. I will be needing an apartment for roughly 7 months, so not too sure what I should be looking for as far as rental agencies and if I can do a 7 month lease or not.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

Well there is definitely no need to panic. Although I understand that it is a bit stressful coming from the US it difficult to organise anything. I have been in your position, I arrived as an assistant (in Tours!) with nowhere to go. Unless you are very very unlucky, someone in the school will volunteer to take you on for a few weeks until you find somewhere. When I was an assistant, I knew loads of other assistants and they all had that option when they arrived although some were already organised. If I were you, I would wait until May, then as soon as you know the school, get in touch with them. Find out if there is somebody who is prepared to take you in for a few weeks while you get organised. Also, around about May the French students start to move, so small studio flats will become available. You might beable to get a flat share with a French person in October. If you do end up in Lyon, (I live here now) it is a big city, so finding out where you are working might determine where you live. I am sure once you get in touch with the school things will sort themselves out. Good luck.