Eurotunnel

Eurotunnel always quote me very unhappy. I haven't travelled with them for years as they are usually asking for three times, sometimes four times the price I usually end up paying, no matter what time of year I ask.

So the other day I wrote to them. I asked why they remained so uncompetitive and that I wouldn't consider using them until their prices were competitive and I was now giving up on them.

I thought like you, TU, that Eurotunnel was "hors prix".

Then - probably thanks to this forum - I noticed in late December a deal whereby you paid upfront for 5x return crossings (or "10x single" I think it is technically) for £390, to be used as and when you wanted to book them during the whole year.

As I knew that this year I should want to travel to northern France a lot, I have given it a try.  I must say that £78 return for car + passengers (even though it's usually only 1 passenger) seems quite a good deal.

Not much help to you *now*, I know, but might be handy if they are doing the same deal at the end of this year, for next...

Angela

I am really pleased to hear that they at least have a notion of commerce. No good to us such offers though. The most we've ever driven back is three times in a year and just the thought of the thousand mile drive makes me shudder.

My Dad bought shares in the tunnel when it was being built. He reckoned that the ferries wouldn't last long when it opened. He has been rather surprised that this has not been the case and that we have hardly ever used Eurotunnel.

We have also taken up the "Frequent Traveller" 10 x £39 singles scheme, I reckon it comes out at roughly the same amount as the old Property Owners deal, as the round trip £78 is actually £118 if you want to travel out and back at anything like a sensible time for a long journey, and £138 on holiday dates. 

It p***es me off to find that people making tax avoidance booze and fags trips do the round trip for £35 or thereabouts AND are doing it at the time of day when I have to pay more than that as a premium for the time of day!!

Fitting in 5 trips a year by car is a bit difficult too....!  I would prefer to support Speedferries but unfortunately the drag in and out of Dover plus uncertainties on the surface routes just adds too much to our trip time. 750 miles door to door is routinely do-able in one day but it does need the right conditions.    

Steve 

Teamedup, is that a quetion or a statement?

As they are 10 single tickets you can use them in either direction i.e. 9 going south and one north if you want (I think!).  Also if you use the French version of the site the price is in Euros, comes out the same. I tried buying in Euros in the hope that the peak hours would be reversed but no dice!

Steve 

I think that's right, Steve.

And they explained to me on the phone that with the advance purchase of the "10 singles", there is an advantage to booking a return journey as *two singles*.  You are then allowed to amend the date of travel of both legs of your journey independently if necessary (can't remember the requirement - perhaps within min 24 hours of travel). 

In other words, if you book your travel as a *return* ticket, you can amend both legs - but only *before the outward travel date*. However, if you book the trip as two *singles* you can amend the second (return) leg later, even after you have made the outward journey. 

Sorry - hope I have explained that clearly... 

Angela (UK & 85 - but quite often 62/59/80 at present!)