BF price change

Mark

Has anyone come across this one...

I went through all of the BF pages to get a price for a trip over in August. The price came up with the details of what and when. This was ok so I progressed to the next page to put in the names of who, I then progressed to the next page and completed the credit card stuff. Then, on completion of that lot the final page came up saying that the transaction had been completed, the amount being debited from my card was over £70 different than a couple of screens ago!

The difference was an extra £25 each way for accommodation and extra for the return journey. The discount was also incorrect on the first (cheaper) screen in that it was only 19% and should have been 33%.

Of course I queried this with BF and they just said that it was correct and that they could not replicate the original screen. They said that I must have changed something between the quote and payment screens. I pointed out that this cannot be done and the guy just said that that was the correct price. I tried the 'back' button on my browser, but that takes it back to the screen asking if I wanted insurance.

Take a tip: Print off any quotes before payment. Check the discount. Don't always assume that the 'Special Offers' are cheaper than standard. The discount rates may be in your favour!

Mark61120

I'm not that surprised. It seems to me that BF deliberately make their site difficult to move back and forth,so as to wear you down and stop you trying to find the cheapest crossing. I used to travel a lot with them when they gave out a leaflet with all the prices for any crossing. When they stopped that and forced you to give them a date before they would offer a quote, it irritated me that they said this was more helpful to theie customers. After tediously trawling back and forth on their site, and still being shocked by their prices, I abandoned them in favour of plane/train.  I'm sure there must be plenty of people who just want to get to France cheaply, and aren't looking for lavish accommodation or facilities. Aren't there?

[quote]I'm not that surprised. It seems to me that BF deliberately make their site difficult to move back and forth,so as to wear you down and stop you trying to find the cheapest crossing. I used to travel ...[/quote]

"I'm sure there must be plenty of people who just want to get to France cheaply, and aren't looking for lavish accommodation or facilities. Aren't there?"

Exactly where Speedferries come in. The owner, Curt Stavis, was profiled in the Grauniad last week and mention was made of a 2nd ferry and possibily running on a western channel route.

Such a new venture would be welcome and I am sure it would not be short of passengers. Obviously we won't get £19 each way fares with the extra fuel costs etc but there is quite a margin to operate in between £19 and the £398 return BF quotes for an August crossing.

the press at the weekend also mentioned condor ferries having a new booking site from the end of this week, will be intrigued to see how they present it. as a frequent traveller i find their current booking engine not quite up to the same standard as the rest of their services. lets hope it does. the pricing is always pretty good at £159 this month for a car +2 and you get into st. malo which i love.