the lisence to provide evening meals

Dee

Go along to local Douane taking usual ID, proof of residence etc and they will issue it free (or for small charge in some depts).  This for table d'hotes - restaurant and bar licences cost, but start by asking at the mairie as I believe the number per commune for bars are limited.

[quote user="Charlotte3"]

Just curious,

Why the Douane?  Why not the local police?

Something we've thought of as well, so I'm curious.

Aly

[/quote]

'Cos it is their responsibility! (Unlike the UK, where it is the Police). We have a "class I" licence for our shop - this took about 20 mins at the Douanes in St Brieuc, including a 17 min discussion on the merits of English beer....

And it was free.

The OP needs a class II, don't they?

Don't forget you also need one (Licence) to cover your for tea, coffee, fruit juice etc in the mornings.

The best to go for is the Grand (Grande Licence Restaurant) as this will cover you for everything short of being a bar and even allows you to sell alcohol with meals both in the evening and at lunchtime PRIVIDING they are proper three courses and not a sandwich and a packet of crisps. Nick is also correct in that we got ours for nothing but some regions charge a proccessing fee.

I don't know much about bar licences (I think there was a thread on this a long time back) but they are expensive and are limited to one per so many homes in a village, town or city. I think it's something like per 250 homes but I advice you to check with the Duanes and not take my word for it.

If it helps the cerfa number on our form is 11313#01. By the way you don't have to put it on display like in the UK, you just keep it in the draw until a Gendarme asks to see it. Have to admit to framing ours and hanging it on the wall as it was the first of many bits of paper we got for our CDH.