Boulogne to Allier

Alan Zoff

I am invariably forced to travel down from Boulogne to the northern Auvergne on Saturdays, hitting Paris at the same time as all of France meets to go shopping in the city. This means I shoot down to the outskirts of Paris in no time and have an equally fast journey south of the capital once I am on the A6, but frustratingly get held up for ages in the middle bit.

Given that my starting point in France is Boulogne and my destination is a point 180 miles exactly due south of Paris, can anyone suggest a reliable route that avoids the peripherique without involving a huge detour, thereby saving both time and sanity?

Hello Alan Zoff

We make a similar journey from Calais down to Nevers. Generally we use the A26/A1 towards Paris then join the A104 Francillene near CDG airport north of Paris then rejoin the A6 just south of Evry. There are road works around the southern end of the A104 at the moment which can slow things down. It looks quite a long diversion but as this route is usually freeflowing can save quite a time.

If there are major delays on the A104 route, keep an eye on the overhead gantry signs for info before joining at CDG if heading south or before Orly if heading north. If heading south from A1 take the A3 then A86 around Paris to join the A6 just north of Orly airport.

For info on roads around Paris look at www.sytadin.tm.fr

Good luck on your next trip.

Paul