All you need to know about Ferry Crossings

Baz

From time to time one picks up details of very useful websites. On this occasion thanks to a member on another forum I felt it would be useful to mention it here as I have added it to my favorites

Often people complain of being unable to find cheap ferry crossing well this site compares all the prices in one go. However do be patient as it can take a couple of minutes. It also contains everything one need to know about ferries, port details, special offers, timetables etc.

http://www.aferry.to/

I hope you find it interesting and hopefully useful.

Baz

I have also been experimenting and have also discovered price differences but it still may be useful guide. Out of interest because of my testing I have uncovered a pricing problem on the P&O Dover-Calais site causing unexplained overcharging from one page to the next. As an example a return crossing shows Outward £30, Return £35 total £65 when you move onto the final booking page the price has increased to £85 before any extras such as fuel surcharges. I am awaiting an explaination from P&O and just wonder how many people may have been overcharged without being aware.

Baz

Its awful to generalise from one experience but with caveats raised let me tell a story.

Simple ferry booking to Ireland. Price same as elsewhere. Tickets arrived OK.

Morning of the departure we found that the ticket instructions were flawed (various ferry ports in Liverpool bit ours not specified, but our fault for not having checked beforehand). We rang Aferry en route and they actually misdirected us (1 mistake) but were pretty d*** curt to the point of rudeness while they were at it. (No we didn't wind them up).

I 'think' they operate a pan-european help desk which might be efficient but is less likely to be helpful than the actual operator.

It's quite true that LD Lines has always used aferryto as the online booking engine for its website, as do several other smaller ferry operators throughout Europe. We have pointed this out several times, and also mentioned the site (albeit under its alternative, older, URL www.aferryto.com) as the best way - possibly the only - way to get information about, and book online, Transmanche. It's also true that if you can book direct with the ferry company you will often - but not always - get a slightly better deal. But none of those detract from the potential usefulness of the site, so thanks to Baz for reminding our users about it.

Just for interest, there is a similar site for ferry information and booking at www.directferries.com. This one has a particularly useful news digest (with good archives) about ferry services (there, that's another of my trade secreats gone).

[quote user="Baz"]

Out of interest because of my testing I have uncovered a pricing problem on the P&O Dover-Calais site causing unexplained overcharging from one page to the next. As an example a return crossing shows Outward £30, Return £35 total £65 when you move onto the final booking page the price has increased to £85 before any extras such as fuel surcharges. I am awaiting an explanation from P&O and just wonder how many people may have been overcharged without being aware.

[/quote]

I thought it might be helpful for anyone trying to book on the P&O site to see the reply to my overcharging question. I have today rechecked and this has now been corrected. For anyone who has recently booked rechecking their prices may prove to be beneficial and for new bookings why not take P&O advise and book by phone making sure to ask for Web prices.

"I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with
our online service.

We have been experiencing some difficulties with our current website. I am
confident that the design will improve over time and new features are being
added daily.  Please be assured that all errors are reported to our
E-commerce department and every effort is being made to provide a
user-friendly website.

However in the meantime please make all reservations over the telephone and
our staff will endeavor to find you the cheapest fare."

Baz