Cross Channel commuting

I have recently become involved with a new association called Opale Link, which aims to encourage cross-channel commuting.  We would like to see French people from the Pas de Calais commute to work in the UK, (there are many more jobs available there than in Northern France); and also encourage UK residents to move to the region and continue to work across the Channel, thus taking some of the pressure off the British housing market.   The long term aim is to enable the Pas de Calais to benefit economically from its exceptional geographic position.

However, we have learnt that from 2007 Eurostar trains will no longer stop at Calais Frethun.   We want to bring some pressure to bear in order to try and prevent this happening, and are therefore interested to make contact with British families living in the Pas de Calais who currently use the Eurostar to commute to London or Ashford.  If we can show that there is a demand we will have taken the first step!   Please get in touch if you are in this situation or feel you can help in any other way.   Thanks in advance.  (This is also posted under the relevant regional site).

Opalienne

I wish you well and hope you are successful, but at the risk of putting a dampner on things, I think you will find that Eurostar know exactly how many people use Frethun, based on their ticket receipts - and on this basis they consider it no longer economic.  Plus they can shave 5 minutes more off London - Paris/Bruxelles, which puts more bums on seats than anything other than low fares. 

Thanks.   Yes, SNCF do know how many people use Frethun, but they won't tell us - or even the maire of Frethun.   We need to try and put some pressure on the British side and it would be helpful to be able to quote some figures, even approximate.   It's less the economics of the stop and more that they want to reduce the travel time to Paris (Brussels Eurostars don't stop there), we have been told.   To begin with no Eurostars at all were programed to stop at Frethun, but local pressure brought about a change - so it can work!  

Hi  - I was most interested in this! We have 2 sets of (British) friends in 'our' village in Pas de Calais, near Hesdin (we are weekenders) who commute to London regularly: one of them is a Solicitor who travels back & forth each week, on Eurostar, the other has his own small Electronics company in Kent & travels weekly, using a combination of Eurostar & Tunnel. We want to move over permanently & my husband would commute on Eurostar, so this news about Frethun is devastating for us!

It's appalling that Eurostar don't recognize the huge potential for custom! They used to have a Carnet scheme which gave you cheaper frequent travel: when I asked why this had been abondoned, they said it was 'owing to certain people travelling from France to UK, who were abusing the system.' Incredulously, I asked why 'abusing' was used, & got the reply 'It's not meant to encourage you to go from France to UK every week - it's only for businessmen going from London!'  What rot!

There would be a huge demand for the Frethun service if there were a proper frequent traveller scheme!

I am VERY keen to get involved with 'Opale Link' so please do get in touch with me!