rail from UK

Kali3

I'd like to travel to Pau by rail (from London) but on the SNCF site it came to over £1000 for me and 3 kids, which seems excessive. Is there a trick to getting cheap(er) fares? I know Ryanair is cheaper (usually), but would like the option of travelling by rail.

I'd be inclined to give Rail Europe a ring. They are in London, VERY knowledgeable and helpful. Beats the hell out of websites. I thought I knew my way round a timetable, but thewy spotted something I hadn't when my wife had to do Valence> Waterloo, and Ashford> Valence a few years back.

Alcazar

£1,000 seems a lot.  I've just looked at the SNCF site and come up with the following one-way travel quote:

One adult and three children. Departure Wed 14 June (example)

Eurostar depart London Waterloo 09:09

Arrive Paris Gare du Nord 12:53

TGV depart Paris Gare du Montparnasse 14:40

Arrive Pau 19:47

Total price £331.50

For a 10 am Friday departure that week it's £388.

Their quotation/booking system calculator is via a link to RailEurope

The trick to getting cheaper rail fares is to book as far in advance as possible, avoid peak times (experiment if you're not sure when they are) and be flexible. If you are looking at a particular time/date then you can end up paying a lot. I often find it cheaper to book the Eurostar separately from the SNCF, although you need to be careful and synchronise this using two screens. Rail Europe can be helpful, but not always. Last year I booked a return using the internet on the Hoteltren from Paris to Barcelona for half the price I was quoted by Rail Europe, using a fare that the girl on the phone said didn't exist!

If you post details of when you're thinking of travelling, I'd be happy to look at it for you, as I'm sure would other people. (Some of us lead sad lives!)

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I think that if we could get a return fare for £400-£500 that would be on a par with Ryanair and would be viable but £700-£800 return is unaffordable (sadly!). I need to give the summer holiday dates some thought now and will give it a whirl - thanks for you offer of help if I draw a blank, Kathy! Probably won't get around to it for a couple of weeks because various ducks need to be lined up. You would have thought train ought to be cheaper than plane, particulary with 3 kids. Ah well.

Kali