NATIONAL EXPRESS : PORTSMOUTH TO LONDON

nino

Dear all,

I see that nobody has raised this issue yet within this forum:  the lack of suitable transport  from Portsmouth to London associated with the  docking of the evening arrival of the BF and LD Line ships.

Frankly I think this is appauling.  It is not alway possible, if ever  at all, to disembark in time (on those occasions when the ship arrives on time, how many times does that happen ?)  to be able to reach the railways station  and catch  the last good train to London and the lsat  Nat Express coach service is at arround 7pm  and next   I believe is at around  4am in the morning (don't know if that runs during the winter though...).

So what is one supposed to do ?  I know. Coming from a country where £30 (if not  less ) can  get you a good B&B  for two people ,  one is supposed to pay £50 or 60 for one bed only in a ...well, whatever standard of  B&B is  available near  the Port in order to be able to  make a return  home the following morning.

Cannot  BF and LD  lobby the port of Portsmouth, the City of Portsmouth, NationalExpress or the railway companies to have a service - coach and or train - always available to pick up those passengers that arrive in   the evening  ?

Just an idea from a person who has experienced this lack of tourist welcoming service for the past...15 years!

Danglar

The last direct train service (South West Trains) from Portsmouth to Waterloo departs Portsmouth & Southsea at 2224, then Fratton at 2228 and Hilsea (closest to the ferry port?) at 2232 arriving in London at 0028.

Brian

There is a National Express direct service to London which departs from the Portsmouth ferryport at 20.10 which fits in ok with the 18.30 arrival of the Brittany Ferries service from St.Malo.

There is a direct train service from Portsmouth Harbour to London departing 22.18 which fits in ok with the 21.45 Brittany Ferries service from Caen.  Portsmouth Harbour station is a very short - less than five minutes - taxi ride from the ferryport.

Portsmouth & Southsea is actually slightly nearer, though I'd still allow more than 5 minutes taxi and it can be quite a long walk from ticket office to train, particularly at Portsmouth Harbour station. Given the time it is currently taking at Portsmouth to dock, unload and process all passengers through immigration, with, I think, three ferries arriving quite close time-wise, relying on getting the 2218 is pushing it a bit, so I agree with the original post. There is a 2318 to London, but as this involves a three hour plus wait at Guildford, it isn't really much of an option.

Thank you for your support, Will.

I realised after reading  the posting  replies  that I  had forgotten  to mention in my posting (which I wrote in frustration , I admit)  that I  have always travelled from Le Havre taking the afternoon sailing from there.

Reading  that there are connections etc. for those arriving  from Caen , Cherbourg etc  is not much consolation.

What puzzles me is why Nat Express last service cannot coincide with the safe disembarkation, in the evenings,  of the BF and LD vessels passengers instead of leaving them there stranded.

I find the NatExp coach service excellent in punctuality comfort and price, so if they could extend it  in the evening then  it would put the cherry on the pie for many of us and possibly make  our journeys to our destinations in  France not requiring a car .

regards

Valmont, how many other people are in the same position as you ?

Isn't it up to you to catch a different ferry ? Sure you can ask the powers that be to consider the last arrival times when they decide on transport times, but there are always going to be delays etc and the companies have to consider the majority of their fare paying customers.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.