Flights cancelled

Russethouse

Went to Chertsey with the caravan yesterday afternoon - Chertsey is on the flight path in to Heathrow - and it was fairly quiet.

During the night I heard the couple of flights that come in during the small hours.

Got up at 06:15 (had to come in to work today) and it was very quiet - just a few planes.

The fog was just as intense and, listening to the radio, they are predicting a few more days of fog.

They did say that a couple of domestic flights have operated using 747s so as to carry more passengers.

Can't help feeling that BA is more interested in long haul passengers so s*d domestic and short haul ones.

Apparently, BAA have erected 2 marquees that are heated - unfortunately, they turn the heating off at night! Also there is not enough capacity and passengers are having to wait outside in the cold - they are not ltting them in to the terminals.

However, the bottom line is that the media is quoting Heathrow as normally operating at 98% capacity and, with fog, aircraft separation has to be greater (the worst aviation accident happened in fog) and yesterday Heathrow was operating at 40% but they are hoping for 60% today.

Paul

We are waiting for Auntie and Uncle to visit, they are due to leave Cyprus tonight and take a flight to paris at 8.00ish tomorrow then pick up the train to us.  They have been told that BA will not change their flight from Cyprus although they will not confirm their onward connection to Paris.  We are concerned that they may be stuck at Heathrow for Christmas.  Any advice? (especially within the next couple of hours)

Best wishes

If they are flying into Heathrow they should try to fly with hand luggage only - one problem is that luggage and passengers are failing to rendezvous.

Can your visitors get on Eurostar ?

The news is on now and not many people seem to be getting away from Heathrow. They may end up waiting in a chilly tent !

Sorry its not better news......

Thank you Russethouse

We are not sure about the Eurostar as my wife heard on the news that it now needed to be booked a week ahead, I also imagine it must be fairly/completely full.  The difficulty is they will not know until they are at the (British) airport if they are able to connect! We have also sent them their train tickets from Paris to us and I now have to go and see if these are transferable should they arrive late.  We think we will wait until the last minute and perhaps tell them to stay put (although they have prepared to be here and will not have much in to provide festive cheer - and we have an abundance)

I hope you have a lovely Christmas

Best wishes

Good news, for us at least, B.A cancelled the london to Paris leg for tomorow (flying in from Cyprus) so following tense phone call to B.A they have put  Auntie/Uncle on a flight to Bordeaux, which means they arrive earlier than anticipated and got an upgrade to boot.  Am now going to see if SNCF will allow us to cancel/change the tickets! I hope other people experiencing problems also have some good news

Best wishes