Le Havre/Eurotunnel

Benjamin

We are soon going to the UK using LD Lines there and Eurotunnel coming back.

It's been several years since we've been to Le Havre and we seem to remember that the only supermarkets to top up with diesel before we cross were situated up in the town.We'll be going in from the Pont de Normandie so can anyone confirm that this is still the case?

I've also just noticed that the confirming email from LD Lines states that we depart at 1700 and arrive Portsmouth at 2130 which makes a crossing time of 3hrs 30mins which seems a bit quick to me compared to years ago. Any recent experiences?

Because we've never used the tunnel before (and only doing so now as the price seems to have dropped quite a bit) we've decided to give it a try. Having seen other posts about automatic check ins can you still use these if you then need to be in the section for disabled badge holders?

There are a number of service stations on the other side of the road as you go towards the port - check the prices because each service station charged a different price (certainly for diesel).  The crossing time is 5 1/2 hours - we have not travelled on LD Lines since the ship came out of refit

The times quoted are "local" and the UK is one hour behind France. This means the crossing time is five and a half hours for the afternoon leg. We use LD for all our trips back to England.

There is a petrol station in Le Havre quite close to the ferry port but it seems to be more convenient for leaving rather than arriving. I think you should top up at one of the low cost stations on your route in. The price difference between UK and France is now marginal for petrol but still very advantageous for diesel in France.

Alistair

Having failed to find the way in to the fuel places on the road to the port - as Napoleon says these are convenient for leaving but not arriving - and driven all round Le Havre and out to the airport to find a suitable place (there are supermarkets without fuel stations) I now always use Leclerc at Honfleur - just on the other side of the Pont de Normandie.

Re the disabled question, check in like everyone else. If you need/want to go into the terminal, there are the usual disabled bays close to the door. When you make your way to the lanes to actually board the train is the point at which you can select to enter the lane which will deal with your needs. Though there's generally little need to do so, as you'll be out the other end in under an hour.  

Thanks for all the prompt and helpful relies.

Quite a senior moment in working out the crossing times[8-)]

Kevinmc

Thanks for the disabled info. Eurotunnel, according to their web site, like all the disabled/slow walkers together at the front of the train should any problems occur.