Power of Attorney - Lost in post

sunflowers

I am in the process of buying a house in Aude.  I signed Compromis in June and final acte was due to be signed today - 20 August.  As I wasn't in a position to travel over for the signing I agreed with the notaire that I would give someone in his office power of attorney.  The notaire took a long time to send me the power of attorney to sign - I eventually recieved it just over a week ago. I signed it and got it notarised here and sent it back via express mail on 13 August(guaranteed 2 days delivery time).  It arrived in France on 15 August but  it seems now that the papers have now been lost by the French chrono post service !!!

I have transferred the money which the notaire has received but I don't know what happens now.  The signing of the final acte was supposed to take place today (this was mentioned in the Compromis).  In this case is there a penalty to pay or will the whole process have to be started again ?? I'm so frustrated !!!!!

Any advice ?

1. Speak to the Notaire

2. Speak to the Notaire

3. etc

If the sale didn't go through (because nobosy could sign for you) then the Notaire will probably just set another date, by which time you will have time to either get there or sort out the PoA.

I'm rather suprised that they were not in touch when the signing date arrived & they hadn't heard from you. Were they in touch to confirm the date of the signing, or did you just assume from the date on the CdeV (which is not set in stone)? Normally the Notaire will give you about 2 weeks notice of when he actually wants you there.

Also, June-August is quite short. Especially as it is holiday time here. I'd expect you to be signing in late September.

Your money is quite safe in the Notaires Tresor Public account.

Thanks for that.  I have tried to speak to the Notaire but he's not an easy man to pin down (or understand when I do get to speak to him).  He did contact me a while ago to confirm that I would not be attending in person which is when he sent me the PoA to sign.  I was in touch with him when I received the documents and confirmed to him when I had sent it back duly sign - it is a this point things started to go wrong.

My main worry was that the date on the CdeV is legally binding but as you mentioned it is not set in stone - so I feel a bit happier now.  I feel sorry for the vendor as I'm sure they just want to get their hands on the dosh.

I just wish I had not used Chrono Post - well you live and learn !!