Does anyone know about the law concerning emmissions from boilers?

Emma

Hi - sorry - a very unexciting post! But we live in a small hamlet on a mountain side and all the houses in the village are built on a steep slope. This means that although our neighbours chimney from their boiler meets the French legal requirement that it exceeds the highest point of their roof - it is right in line with our bedroom windows as we are situated up hill from them.

This means when their boiler (oil fired) is on we have to keep the windows closed or choke on the terrible fumes. During the summer they have agreed to turn the boiler off between 11pm and 6.30 am ( it still means I have to jump our of bed at 6.30am  and close the windows) but in the winter they like the boiler on for 15 minutes eveery hour as they say it is more cost efficient for them to run it like this and it safe guards the house from freezing. The fumes also come on to our terrrace, so we are trying to enjoy a barbecue and choking on the fumes. It is such a shame as we have lived here in the clean mountain air for a long time ( their house was empty and they have only moved into it now they are retired ). I have told then how bad it is but they are disinclined to do anything about it. Are there any legal bodies that could come and measure the emissions or do anything about it? I don't really want to fall out with them but I don't want my children poisoned either.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Thanks,

Emma