Community Marriage contract

Bartbag

Hello, all,

I'm sure I've read something about this somewhere but have gone through our pile of reference material and have had a look through the Forum - can't find it but wonder if anyone knows the answer.  My husband and I will be buying a house in France very soon and want to arrange it so as to avoid inheritance tax if one of us dies first (or rather when, probably...); I believe you can arrange to have a community marriage contract so as to do this.

But... I'm sure I've read somewhere that this only applies if the original marriage took place within the EU.  We're both UK citizens but got married in Florida - does this mean we have to undergo some kind of civil ceremony in France before we can get the community marriage thingy sorted out?  I'm all for it if it means a new hat...  Will go and practise our excruciating French on the notaire (or would it be the mairie) but I wonder if anyone on here knows the answer first.   Many thanks.

We got married in Mauritius and were able to sort it all out just fine - without any re-marrying.  Mauritius (now independent) is a former British colony (like the US) and also a former French colony but I don't believe that this was important.  I think what was important was the fact that we were UK subjects (like you) ... we were also resident in the UK at the time too.

It'll be the notaire who'll sort out your marriage contract (mayor if you get married again).  Oh, and buy the new hat anyway - best wishes,  Ian