Sea France Season Ticket - Too Good to be true?

Now that Speedferries has finally gone, I am a refugee cast adrift in the maelstrom of different fare offerings from different carriers and am looking for a lifeboat.

My need is only for the short crossing route and as a test I tried out prices for the tunnel vs. ferries for a reasonable time of day each way for a week away in February. For a return the tunnel want £150 - ish and P&O and SeaFrance each want around £75 - ish. Not much contest there then.

I then spotted the SeaFrance Season Ticket from around £30 per crossing at ANY time save a very few peak days - and they are just "days" not whole weeks simply blanked out at half-term or all of August and so on.

They even say:

"You don't need to book specific crossing times, you can turn up at the Port with your booking reference and we guarantee you a crossing on one of the next two departures (excluding peak dates..."

This looks to me as near enough a Turn Up and Go Service for maybe £60 return (the precise figure depends on how many tickets you initially buy).

Looks good - does anyone have any experience of using this?

A season ticket is not a lot of use if Sea France goes belly up just like speed ferries!!!!!

I think I have just gone off season tickets and subscriptions having been caught by both Speed ferries and French News [:'(]

Anyone taking bets on who is next to disappear with our money??? [Www]

We returned from France on the Seafrance Rodin last week, 11.05.

There were less than a dozen cars, 8 caravans but quite a few lorries. We boarded late and left at 11.30. As we walked through the boat it smelt of stale bodies,cigarette smoke and BO. They didn't run the safety message.

We had a tea and a cappacino, £1.75 each. The tea was barely warm water and a tea bag, the coffee was half a cup of froth, hardly any liquid and no taste. As I raised the teacup to my lips it smelt fishy. Needless to say we left the drinks. An English chap next to us had ordered a croque monsieur. After one bite he turned to his partner and said thats disgusting.

It felt like a boat dying and smelt like it too!

We will be trying PO next time, but suggest if you try Seafrance take a good book and your own food and drink!

Well you must have chosen a duff sailing.  We sailed to France on the Rodin on the 9.45am last Friday. We found it clean & free from smells. Hubby had an excellent FEB while I stuck with the continental!. However, we came back the following night on the Moliere - not great, but OK. We must hang on in there with these ferry crossings. We usually use the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing but hear this is now facing difficult time, so we need to support the ferries as much as poss.  Use them or loose them!!

Robkat

Why not check the P&O season ticket offer currently available ? From £26 a single and you can buy 3, 6, or 9 returns to be used within 12 months. Not too many restrictions provided you don't have to travel at peak times and then you can pay a surcharge if necessary.

Thanks for the info. I've taken a peek at a couple of news websites for SE Kent and won't even now think about a season ticket with SeaFrance for a good long while.

In the meantime:

(1) My claim to the credit card company for my Speedferries ticket(s), which together cost in excess of £100, was sent off around a week ago. I'll let you know how I get on.

(2) The way the € exchange rate is going at present I think I'll be buying wine in my local Tesco and taking it to France with me.