billi at Bordeaux

JandM

I've seen a few references to it recently, and yesterday I used the new Bordeaux airport Easyjet/Ryanair terminal building for the first time on a flight to Gatwick. It's called 'billi' for some reason and set apart from the main airport. It's a very basic warehouse/shed type building with shops - and even fewer seats than usual for an airport. Hot, crowded and very uncomfortable.

I guess it's taking the concept of no frills travel to its logical conclusion so many will applaud the frugality, but for me this is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back. From now I'm going to start paying more on this route for an airline that doesn't treat it's customers with such obvious contempt - perhaps even BA!

It Doesnt even have toilets in the arrival or departures terminals...you have to walk back up to the main terminal, which I have to say, when dropping my sister off who is is a wheelchair, is hard enough to go from one building to another and with a case as well.....thats how basic it is.

billi appears to be a contraction of "Bordeaux illico" - "illico" (according to my huge Oxford Hachette) means "sharpish" or "straightaway". Which was not my experience when my son's easyJet flight was delayed.

I believe the first of these great French innovations was at Marseille. No doubt they will start springing up everywhere, although the passenger terminals at Bergerac and Limoges appear to incorporate several of their design features already.

We can add the new Terminal 3, built in the classic tented style, at Lyon to the list.  There's insufficient space to get a planeload of passengers inside[8-)] to get any protection from the elements [:(] whilst those in front of you have their passports checked.  Then the cold and wet [:(] gets emphasised as you wait 15 minutes for the bus to the car hire places, but hey you are on your holidays with painting, tiling etc etcc to look forward to. 

Why do we do it? - suppose its 'cos we love it. [:D][:D]