Selling and buying new home - capital gains

Carole

I own my own home in France and it is my only residence. This means, I believe, that if I sell it I do not have to pay capital gains tax.

I am thinking of moving but is there a length of time I have to be in my first house before I sell and move on. I have been told that to avoid the capital gains tax I have to be in my house for two years - does anyone know if this is correct.

In this day and age of fairly static prices the only gain I would make is probably on the new fosse septique and staircase I have installed.

Hello. In order to establish that your French home is your main and principle residence it is generally only necessary to show proof you have paid income tax - or at least completed an income tax return - in France, either through employment, self-employment or indeed if you are a pensioner. When I recently changed apartments, this is all the notaire required of me.

There is in theory no restriction on selling soon after you have moved in, but if you were to do it several times, the tax authorites might start questioning that you are doing this as a "business" i.e. buying, doing-up and moving on.

Hope this helps.

P-D de Rouffignac

www.francemediterraneanproperty.com