What is this animal

Whilst out walking yesterday with a group of friends we came across a dead animal by the side of the lane.  No-one had ever seen the like and I wondered if anyone knew what it could be.  I just wish that I'd had my camera with me.  It's coat was almost exactly the same as a tabby cat, with a bushy tail.  It had short legs, a smallish head with a long pointed nose.  It was around the size of a ferret.  I've looked up pictures of polecats, pinemartins etc. but nothing matches this creature.  We live in Dept.16.  Any ideas, anyone???

My goodness..................many thanks for solving the mystery.  It was a Genet!!!!  

We were walking just outside the village of Aizecq - Dept 16, Poitou Charente, Chris.    Is this a rare fine?  I'm so sad that it seemed to be a victim of 'roadkill'.  Such a lovely creature.

They are relatively "common" in that part of the region as far as I know but most recordings are as a result of road kill or poop heaps. Not an easy creature to see unless you spot one in your headlights and then it's usually to brief for most people to get a clear ID.

Thanks for the Ob, nice spot round Aizecq.

Chris