roe deer fawn

Recently ,while out riding I passed by a wheat field and a doe leapt away. Immediately a terrible screaming commenced from the hollow in the wheat which was quite close to the bridle path. Normally I wouldn't have interfered as I could see the doe's ears above the corn at a distance,but I was worried my dog was worrying the fawn. I dismounted quickly ,and me and the horse went along the tramline to investigate , all the time the screaming continued . I didn't get too close ,just enough to make sure my dog wasn't there and I could see the spotted coat in the wheat. I made my retreat ,hoping the mother would return shortly and met my dog much further on the way back home.

It seems to go againt all the rules of mother nature for the baby to bring attention to itself in such a way and I wondered if anyone had experienced this ,

My neighbour seemed to think the fawn was perhaps brain damaged. I went back the next day to find just the hollow in the wheat. I'm hoping it was a happy outcome.

W Rat

I had a similar experience this week. I was out walking with our border collie and a doe dashed across the path. A fawn started to follow her, then retreated into tall plants at the side of the lane and started to cry. Our dog snuffled round and uncovered the fawn, and the pair of them just gazed at eachother.

Then the fawn ran off after its mother, making a highpitched crying sound. I assumed the baby was crying for its mother? Quite an experience to see one at such close quarters.