Maybe one for chrisp

Hi everyone,

I will try and keep a long story short!  Last autumn, we had we had a tree surgeon round to trim our very large trees and as a result, two baby torterelles (if thats how its spelt!) fell from their nests.  Anyway, birds were saved and I placed them in a large plant pot, packed out with vegetation for nesting, tied very high up in the tree, the parents 'found' them and fed them etc and they are fine even now (still here)  My problem is, they are nesting in the gutters, which is a problem when it rains and they lose their eggs.  All the other torterelles nest in the trees and if see them starting to build a nest I try and scoot them to the trees.  Suffice to say, they have succeeded again in nesting and laying an egg.  Is this normal behaviour or is it as a result of putting them in the plant pot??  I know I cannot move it now, but any advice will be greatly received.  I know they are the same pair as one of them had an injury during the fall from the tree last yr, and are quite happy to come quite close to me. Many thanks in advance and sorry for rambling on[:P]!!

Jetlag

I assume that you a talking about Collared doves, if so then they are a bit dumb in the nesting department and yet remarkably successful BUT their success is based on the fact that they will produce or attempt to produce several broods a year, I think that ten has been known.[blink]

They make the flimsiest of nests, far too small and in the most stupid of places. They obviously haven't fully adjusted to being in France.[;-)]

Not a lot of help really, I have no answer, sorry.

Chris