Chasing Up House Deeds

M

We purchased house in 85 last Aug & have not received yet. Whilst I understand the French system of "they will arrive eventually" I want to start chasing the notaire up now.

Can anyone advise of how to ask this in French. Whilst my spoken french is good, my written French is not and I don't want to ask for the wrong thing or be impolite.

Any advice gratefully received.

Emma
(have checked archives but nothing there)

To the best of my knowledge, you will never receive the deeds. These will be kept by the notaire. You should receive a copy of a document summarising the activity associated with the purchase of the property. Mine is labelled "Expedition".

This ought to be available after the purchase has been registered at the Hypotheque and appropriate taxes paid. Call at the notaire's office and ask.

We've bought 2 houses in France now. First time round, the notaire's policy was 'we'll hang on to the paperwork until you ask for it'. Didn't find this out until talking to a different notaire for the purchase of the second house! He told us we needed to ask. Having done this, the paperwork arrived within a week. But it's not 'deeds' as we know them in England - ie no telling who has boundary responsibilities etc and not a lot of history (which we were hoping for).

If your spoken French is good, just ring the notaire's office involved in your sale, tell them you bought a house in xxxxx place, xxxx many months ago (6 months' delay is normal) and haven't received the papers. This should do the trick.

If you really must write a letter, do it along the same lines. As long as it gets the messages across, does it matter about spelling, grammar mistakes? If it matters to you, put it through the reverso website www.reverso.net. Maybe not a perfect translation, but the best on the net.

Good luck! We didn't feel the house was completely ours until we had the paperwork so understand how you feel.