Open University Diploma or other options

Hutchiesinfrance

Hi, I have been looking through the forum and noticed some of you are doing the OU courses, levels 1 & 2.  Has anyone looked at other routes for learning French at this level online? I havent been able to find any other options, and the OU courses, when living in France are quite expensive.  Only 10 days to go before the closing date for the feb 2005 courses, so I will have to make up my mind quickly.  Any feedback on the OU course quality/tutor assistance would also be very much appreciated.  Also, has anyone been on the residential course? Is it all ages, or mostly youngsters studying for their degrees - I wouldnt want to feel like a wrinkly!

Thanks for any help

Hi Hutchies,

I tutor on L211 Nouvel Envol, and no, OU courses are not cheap (even in the UK!) - but they are good (well, I would say that, wouldn't I!). For a 60 point course you need to be sure that you will be able to put in at least 14 - 15 hours of study per week - and there's not much flexibility about assignment deadlines. I have taught on the summer school in Caen, and all the students really enjoyed it, even though it's hard work and (for some) a bit daunting having to speak French intensively for the whole week. Ages ranged from late twenties to much much older - and it wasn't just the younger ones in the bar until late every night, I can assure you!

Malcolm

it wasn't just the younger ones in the bar until late every night, I can assure you!

Malcolm, I took a course on the OU once were we met the tutor in the bar before the bi-weekly lecture!  And aren't the age groups interesting?  I took two credits in classical music some years ago, I was in my mid 20s at the time but most of the others were 50+.  It was a marvellous experience.  M

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished their diploma.

If you can, USE A UK ADDRESS!! It's £500 a year cheaper; the only snag is that you need to get someone to post the packs to you (one for L120, two for L310, can't remember if it was one or two for the L211 course). There aren't any tutorials in France.

The first year standalone residential is brilliant (it's LXR122). Second year one was rubbish in comparison and the there is no third year one.

For L120 you should be around A-level conversation, not GCSE/O-level as they state. One guy in our group started with GCSE and had a very, very rough time of it.

Oh, and good luck!

Arnold