Words with several accents

bizzyliz

Assavoir

Verbe défectif signifiant savoir, connaître, seulement utilisé à l'infinitif, après le verbe faireJe vous le ferai assavoir »).

My verbe may be "défectif", but it is seulement utilisé à l'infinitif, so it may not be your verb, but your verb is not the ONLY one.

Rave grave when you get back from work...

Christine

Husband to TU, 'what ARE you doing?'

TU, ' Going through the Bescherelle looking for a page with nothing on it'.

Husband shakes head, I then ask him and he doesn't know either.

'Why are you going through that though?'

'Because if it is just in the  imperatif, the the page'll be empty'

LOL such is my logic.

I have asked a lot of people and no one knows. We have all blamed the weather. May be everyone is just really thick where I live, that includes me ofcourse.

I've decided to give you a reprieve, another 24 hours, maybe a few Pastis will help.

To Christine and her supporters: vous m'enquiquinez avec votre 'assavoir' ! It is not used any longer in modern France (say, post 1789), maybe still in your campagnes vraiment très réculées du fin fond d'un vallon mystérieusement oublié par notre époque, but it is not in my dictionary (Petit Robert), your answer is judged 'irrecevable' and you are 'déboutées' the whole lot of you. Dont acte.

The French language has ONE verb that can only be used in the infinitive form, and not necessarily in association with another verb or phrase. In fact, in its most frequent acceptation, it is used on its own practically, sometimes after 'pour le' or 'pour la'. Everybody knows this verb and even a beginner in French would recognise it in its written form and also spoken form.

A plus.

What is he on about, pour le, pour la, he's going to drive us all bonkers.

Look at poor TU :

'Because if it is just in the  imperatif, the the page'll be empty'

He said infinitif TU, but maybe you were already in the aperitif

Oh well, the grand seigneur has given us another 24 hours and a few more Pastis...

"it is used on its own practically, sometimes after 'pour le' or 'pour la'. Everybody knows this verb and even a beginner in French would recognise it in its written form and also spoken form"

Ok, now you've got me at it too.

My first 'go' would be

Pour le telephoner/pour la telephoner (with accents of course)

I know I'm probably wrong but thought I'd have a go anyway.

It must be something so obvious if a beginner would know it, we're all probably thinking too much 'out of the box'

History, with a big H (at least on this Language Forum) will remember that, at precisely 18h31 on July 1st 2005, La Tourangelle (a.k.a 'La Turone', 'The Fraud', 'La Faussaire'), without any undue fuss or time-wasting diversional tactics, posted the correct answer:

Ravoir.

Two meanings:

Meaning 1 featuring our friend Little Bouboule at the table

'J' pourrais ravoir des nouilles, s'il te plaît ?' [could I have some more noodles ?]

Meaning 2 featuring our favourite ménagère Big Germaine (to her hubby), not best pleased after finding a shocking hole/stain/accident of unidentified source on his Y-fronts.

'J' préfère te dire que ton slip, Germain, pour le ravoir, ben, mon bonhomme euh, Tintin, hein !' [I better tell you Germain, that to mend your Y-fronts, well, it won't be a stroll in the park !]

Well, La Tourangelle, what can I say ? Respect. We'll all call you Maman from now on.

PS: Delighted that you beat Admin !!! (and L'Animal Assavoir !)

Mais voyons, ne soyons pas si modeste La Tourangelle, tu as le succés trop facile ! Ne nous leurrons pas, this was a Master coup ! You fully deserve my short panegyric.

I'm just surprised Admin did not censure or hijack your victorious post ! (Where were you Admin on this one then ?)

Well, La Tourangelle, ta victoire, ça a jeté comme un froid, dis donc !

Anyway, this conundrum should thaw the atmosphere all right:

What is the difference between a woman who has just come out of church and a woman who has just come out of the bath ?

The woman who has just come out of church has her soul full of hope.

Passez un bon Dimanche. Et vive la messe !

quérir, ravoir,accoire,bienvenir, courre.

Well that was my little list before I hit the Teissere Ethno and I think I overdosed on fruit juice.  Until the last clue I had thought it would be bienvenir, but those clues didn't fit that.

I'm not even sure if I know ravoire or not. I open my mouth and all sorts of french spills out naturally and fluidly. I am sure that it is not always good. I don't decortique. As long as I am understood and understand I am happy.

TU absolutely talentless at languages.

ps well done Tourangelle