Speaking French

Neil

Salut!

I'm going on holiday to France for the first time this year, so i've decided to try and learn some French.

Its going ok so far and i've started a blog to keep my interest in it. Has anyone else tried to Learn French on their own? How did they get on? Any useful tips you can give me? It would be much appreciated.

So far ive been using a lot of the resources on the beeb sites to help me.

My blog is http://ilearnfrench.blogspot.com

If anyone is interested.

Hi Neil

I think you've got off to a good start with your blog.

They are always better with links to other things, pictures and questions that invite comment etc, which is what you're doing.

The fact that you're a Liverpool supporter is deeply disturbing for those of us who hail from certain areas due East of you, [6] but at least you had the guts to admit it.

Salut!

Thanks for the advice like the Germans and the war, I won't mention the FA cupStick out tongue [:P]. I'm finding that by writing down what i'm learning as well it is reinforcing what i have already learned. Does anyone else do a blog? i would be happy to create a link to them and i recommend starting a blog to help you learn more about computers but also if your learning something new.

Neil, this guy also built his blog around struggling to learn a language, but this time Swedish.

He's won loads of awards for it. It's called How To Learn Swedish in 1000 Difficult Lessons. I go there because I like to keep up with what's going on in Sweden, and to be able to surprise my nephew and nieces with the odd Swedish word.

http://francisstrand.blogspot.com/

Hi Neil

I shall be checking up on your progress regularly by reading your blog!  There is also a very good blog under the French Language category - well worth reading.

I have been learning French on my own for over a year now and I am finding it a lot of fun! Well, it has been a stop and start process every time we were planning to go on holidays in France.  But last year I started on my learning properly and, finally, I think I am progressing, as I have managed to do all the house-buying negiotiations in French all on my own (oh dear, what HAVE I signed at the notaire's?!).  However, learning a language is like trying to swim in an ocean: there is a lot of it to swim in!!!  What I find works best is to learn a bit absolutely every day and keep revising.  I find the www.french.about.com a particularly useful site as it not only explains the grammar very clearly, but also teaches you a new word per day, gives you practice in aural comprehension and is a great reference if you want to check any expressions/grammatical point/pronunciation etc  But then again, I am a bit of a language nut (English is not my native language), so learning French is my hobby.  I very much hope that one day I will become fluent - but I feel it will take absolute years!

I wish you all the very best with your endeavour!

Anna

Salut!

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked on about.com and it seems good, though quite advanced for myself at the moment! I too would love to be fluent in French, again it will take years but hey!

Thanks for the idea about the magazines, my girlfriend says she has some old french magazines, whether i'll find them interesting i'm not sure, i might try watching one of my DVD's but with them speaking in French instead.

Any other tips? All will be gratefully appreciated!

Most large libraries have DVD's you can "borrow' for a small fee.

Get French films with English subtitles and/or French subtitles. Have fun working out the slight differences between what the characters are saying,and what the subtitles say they are saying!

Listen to a French Radio station on the internet.

Your blog is fun!  Some more ideas from a language nut:

Do you have access to Sky TV?  If so, you can get the Francophone TV5, which is a mixture of game shows, films, documentaries and news - a lot of it with subtitles, so very useful indeed.  Even the brain-numbing game shows are good for language learners like us because they often do word games.

Another idea: start putting the new words you learn in a folder/notebook under different categories rather than alphabetically - it is easier to refer back to.  You can have loads of useful categories, like "socializing", "weather", "home", "food and drink"  etc.  This sort of information came in extremely handy for me when I was in France last time!  It's a bit like creating your own phrase book, but because you write it yourself, you are bound to remember it more.

So where and when are you going to France?

Glad you like it, you should add a comment on my blog!

Don't have sky tv which is a shame i love things like countdown. It sounds like a good idea about the different sections for my own phrasebook, if im feeling up to it i might try and add something to the blog.

I'm going to Midi- Pyrenees in August (Aout?), Can't wait! we're hoping to have a few days in Paris beforehand too!

OK Neil. Here's another idea.

If you like Countdown/word quizes and have a video recorder, record your show,  translate the questions and then compose the answers in French. Millionaire would be good, as it's all written out for you.

I learnt loads from French Soaps, but I can't be doing with them now

Anyway, the poor guy is in Liverpool with no Sky (he is not alone).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so motivated to learn some language for a holiday. It's very impressive.