Filets de pangas

Pixietoadstool

Apparently there isn't a french word, just a literal translation - snapper rouge.  I've often looked out  for it on the fresh fish counter, but I haven't been able to find it myself. 

I love it too, when we got married in Cancun, we stayed in a gorgeous hide-away for a few days with no electricity or running water.  There was a young native, Victor who would ask as every day what we would like to eat and he would go and fish it for us then prepare it al fresco!  There was always conche or red snapper!

Having looked at this site it confirms what I thought - that rouget is in fact red mullet.  I believe red snapper is a tropical fish (but could well be wrong) and so I suppose I shouldn't be encouraging the importing of fish from so far away when France has so many of its own good stuff.

My husband has just cooked me a red snapper dish (a Rick Stein recipe) substituting sea bream for red mullet and it reminded me why I often don't eat many kinds of fish - there were so many bones in the fillets that it seriously put me off and my son rushed into the back garden to offload the contents of his stomach in an effort to dislodge the vicious bones stuck in his throat!   What a disappointment!! Yet when this recipe is cooked with something like red snapper there are almost no bones to spoil the enjoyment!

Valere