Children's Party Invitations

Domp80

Another of many challenges on my hands - My son is going to have a seventh birthday party so I am in the process of scribing the invitations.

I am ok with the first bit (I think) which will say something like (with the accents which I havent yet figured out on my keyboard!)

Jonty t'invite a feter son anniversaire !

Le xxxx de 14h30 a 17h00

Lieu : xxxxxxx 

résponse souhaité avant le mercredi 25 octobre

BUT - its the next bit I am stuck with. What I want to do is provide a tear off slip at the bottom saying

Yes I would like to come or No I am unable to make it (please indicate)

and return to Jonty.

Question is - does anyone ever do that in France (none of the party invites my children have received so far have asked for a response on them) and if its ok to do, what French equivalent should I use ?

I would give my phone number on the invite but I absolutely hate the telephone and so can't bring myself to do it !

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide !

[quote user="Domp80"]

Another of many challenges on my hands - My son is going to have a seventh birthday party so I am in the process of scribing the invitations.

I am ok with the first bit (I think) which will say something like (with the accents which I havent yet figured out on my keyboard!)

Jonty t'invite a feter son anniversaire !

Le xxxx de 14h30 a 17h00

résponse souhaité avant le mercredi 25 octobre

BUT - its the next bit I am stuck with. What I want to do is provide a tear off slip at the bottom saying

Yes I would like to come or No I am unable to make it (please indicate)

and return to Jonty.

Question is - does anyone ever do that in France (none of the party invites my children have received so far have asked for a response on them) and if its ok to do, what French equivalent should I use ?

I would give my phone number on the invite but I absolutely hate the telephone and so can't bring myself to do it !

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide ![/quote]

Let's start with the basic spelling and accents in your invite:

Jonty t'invite à fêter son anniversaire:

Le xxxx de 14h30 à 17h00

Then you could type below

Peux-tu me répondre avant mercredi 25 octobre s'il te plaît?

Partie à découper et donner à Jonty

Oui j'accepte avec plaisir!

Non, quel dommage, je ne peux pas venir...

I don't have any knowledge regarding children's parties, so can't help more!

Good luck

[quote user="Chrisb"][quote user="Clair"]

Oui j'accepte avant plaisir!

Non, quel dommage, je ne peux pas venir...

[/quote]

Hi Clair

I would have said AVEC plaisir, how  does 'avant' works in that sentence??

Thanks

Chris

[/quote]

Of course, you are right, clumsy finger action (I cut myself chopping some veg this morning and my index finger is out of action!!)

Original post now corrected, thank you Chrisb!

I tried that once and no-one ever returned the cut off bit.

I just put my phone number on the invitations and ask them to call if they are coming.

Contacte vite Jonty au

xx xx xx xx xx

They will need to call for directions anyway to the party unless you have put that on the invitation.

In my experience, whether you have a reply slip or put a telephone number on, most parents won't bother replying and you'll have to rely on grilling your son on who said in the playground that they were going to come, who said they were going to be staying with daddy that weekend and who said that they might be able to come but only if they had good enough grades in the spelling test....... 

LOL, how right you are!

Only a few weeks ago my daughter invited 5 friends to her birthday.

One HAD to go and have lunch with her grandma........who lives only about 10 K away

One HAD to stay with her dad for the weekend......dad lives about 10 K away too, perhaps he could have brought her for a couple of hours???

One was punished.

And finaly , this child is never allowed to go and play and my daughter has to phone and make an appointment to go and play there?

So the one that did accept really did have a good time as we took them horseriding and out to lunch .

It is rather low key here, but the kids have fun anyway.  I do a theme party  for my daughter each year and they think it's fantastic.  We did Pirates & Princesses one year.

I always make a 'pinata' and my daughter helps me.  The kids love it and it gets them outside playing so the indoor damage isn't as bad!

It's true that you can come across as really fun and exciting while making a lot less effort than you would in the UK (from what I've been told) Most parties my kids go to seem to be; playing, cake, (lots of ) sweets, more playing. If you do any form of organised games or themes, then you go down in history. One year all I did was let the kids dress up in all all our spare dressing up clothes and raid my make up box (not much in there, mainly stuff left over from various dance shows the girls have done) and no-one wanted to leave (I have a feeling the mums were a bit shocked when they came to pick them up, but never mind)

Like the idea of a pinata. Pass the parcel always goes down well too, once you've explained the rules.

[quote user="Mistral"]

Pass the parcel always goes down well too, once you've explained the rules.

[/quote]

Blind mans buff and musical chairs too.  They ask for it every year!

My daughter has just come back from a birthday party where the invitation promised lots of games but there weren't any - she had a great time anyway and didn't want much of her dinner 'cos' she ate so many sweets!

How Spooky!

I too am in the process of writing invites for my son's 7 th birthday, what a weird coincedence!  I have been looking for inspiration for the wording as my son has already corrected me on a couple of points, (don't you just hate that!)

I will use the format helpfully supplied, I too was going to ask for a reply but think that it would be best to ask each mum face to face, easier for me too.

I am taking the kids to a bowling alley which apparently isn't done that much here, my son wanted to and the alley do it, throwing in free this and that too so why not I thought.  I was shocked by the response 'can children go bowling' by one of the mums.  The alley is about 10 k away but now that I've thought about it I hardly ever see any young children there.  It's a cheap option when the weather could be bad and as it's only his second party ever I think I can push to 2.80 per child!

thanks for asking the exact question I wanted answering!

Well - thanks all for your help everyone.

I wrote the invitations, with a tear off slip. My son gave them out in the playground before school and by the evening we had already had one slip back !

I dont expect everyone to reply but I hold out hope that I may get some idea of numbers !

I too am going for the radical this year - I am taking the kids to a play place which I think they will love ! My experience of parties given by the childrens' friends have been exactly as already described - nothing organised at all and no food as such, just lots of sweets. My 10 year old had a party earlier this year and I couldnt believe how easy it was - no sandwich preparations, sausage rolls etc - - I felt like a real fraud !!