learning the language

Brian King

Has anyone done a university course in the Montpellier, area (34) and if so have they any recommendations. I am in the same boat as the original correspondant and feel that the last few postings recommending university for a year seem like a good idea.

must tell you a story about when we were househunting and ended up in a rather posh hotel in saumur.  in those days, my knowledge of french was minimal but i knew enough to ask for a room with bath or shower for 2 people for one night

the courtly and rather elderly gentleman (i presume the owner) heard my request through with great patience and then answered in perfect english that, yes, of course they could accommodate us

i remonstrated with him, asking him why he had let me struggle on in french when he could have ended my embarrassment earlier.  his answer was, and i quote, "madame, you need to practise"

not sure how to take that, meant as reproach or helpful advice?  je ne sais pas!

as english is my fifth language and as that incident was over a year ago, i am pleased to say that, faced with the same circumstances, i will now be able to deal with it with aplomb