A total beginner

carp-guru

I hope this is no simple question but this forum has come highly recommended.I have just enrolled in a French class at night school. The concern I have is I find the cousrse exciting but I am having trouble in working with others. By this I mean in order to perfect the language you need to talk. With no one at home to work with is there a way that you can motavate yourself to work at it. I need to learn key phrases and all aspects of pronuntiation but find it difficult on my own. Can it be done in a memborable way or a sure way of which you can learn.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Which course book are you using? Do you have a CD or tape with exercises? Most language courses have one available and some come with video DVDs, so ask your teacher about it.

In Birmingham you are lucky (Lord! Never thought I'd ever write that!) because you have probably the best adult education language centre in the country. If your teacher can't suggest resources then try contacting the Brasshouse Language Centre if you haven't already. I've never been there but know it by reputation.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/brasshouse.bcc

There are computer-based packages that include the facility to record your responses so that you can listen and compare your voice to the 'standard' answer. The Brasshouse has an open learning centre where you can probably find stuff like this.

Unfortunately there is no real substitute to conversation with a real French person, but technology can certainly help.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Unfortunately there is no real substitute to conversation with a real French person,

[/quote]

I have no option but to spend most of my time alone, I talk to myself all the time in French, practising how to say things, rehearsing conversations in advance or working out how to say what I wish I had said at the time etc.

They say that you are never alone with a bi-polar disorder [:-))] it certainly seems to help except with my accent[6]

Hi

Have a look at www.ielanguages.com. There you will find lots of help with phrases and speech from beginner onwards. There is a facility to download mp3 so you can hear the pronunciation to assist with your speech. All the instructions are on the site so it is really easy to do. I have found it a real help because the recordings are by a native speaker.

Hope this is helpful to you too[:)]