security checking

My son had an interview at the beginning of December with a company who source candidates for the M.O.D.He was told that he had been successful just before Christmas, subject to security checks. He was due to go on an induction course in two weeks time, but was contacted today and told that, as he had been living in France for the past year, they could not do the security checks!! What can we do?

Difficult one there. I don't think that there is anything that you can do but wait for them to read their manuals and find a way around it.

I was vetted when I took up a job with the MOD. The vetting is done by the Vetting Agency in York, they took an absolute age with me despite having just left the RAF after 25 years and having a father who was in the Army for all of his life.

They will find a way to do it, but on your sons part he must make sure he tells them everything - be open and honest. If he forgets to tell them something that he may want to keep to himself then he stands no chance.

The civil service can take quite a time to do things but it should all turn out OK in the end.

He is not going to Wyton is he?

It all depends on the exact nature of the checks (they vary according to agency, role and type of job) and the nature of the reciprocal agreement with the French on the relevant parts of the checks selected for his position. It may NOT be possible for them to be completed. He needs to explore the issue with the agency direct. Frankly, it also depends on the nature of the job he is offered, if it is junior and/or temporary and/or easy to fill, the cost of foreign checking may not be seen as a worthwhile investment. In the security questionnaire/ application advice it normally describes the extent that living outside the UK may be a barrier.

Pouyade

The vetting is meant to be done by P.P.P.A. People Pay and Pensions Agency. He had to give details of all the places he has

lived for the past five years when he went for the interview, he was at

university from 2003 - 2007 and spent all his holidays here with us in

France. He has been with us since he graduated in 2007, to help us with

our renovation business. but they haven't even sent out the

questionnaires he was told that he would receive. I feel that there has

been a distinct lack of communication somewhere along the line, but

don't know who to contact.What do you suggest?